Hull turning - engine & gantry crane

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Wckoek, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Wckoek

Wckoek Junior Member

I have a 2 ton engine crane and have access to a 2.5 ton gantry crane, have anyone use such crane to turn a hull?
    On a seperate question, if both 2 and 2.5 ton crane used together, can they lift a 4 tonne boat?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Are these chain fall hoists? Is the engine crane, an engine boom hoist, with a projecting or even telescoping boom? Most engine hoists will do 2 tons, but only in the fully retracted position, which may not offer enough height or reach. You'll need both to roll her over.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

We have turn many hulls with straps wrapped around them. You pull from one end, and the hull rolls on the straps.

4. Wckoek

Wckoek Junior Member

Yes, the gantry is chain fall hoist, the engine crane is of telescopic boom that lifts up to 2.36m according to the manual with a range of 1-1.6m.
    I am thinking of lifting the bow side with the engine hoist, and use strap on the gantry to flip her over, but I never seen such a setup being used before, and what should I look out for.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've done just what you described and just go slow, insure you can "catch her" if things get out of hand and eventually you'll find you thought and worried a lot more about this than necessary.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.