Hull thickness???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by monrosm@shrewsb, Feb 4, 2011.

1. monrosm@shrewsb

monrosm@shrewsb Junior Member

Can anyone advise me on what sort of space there is normally between the outer skin and inner skin (exterior/interior) of a hull on a 50ft powerboat, e.g. 50ft Fairline hull?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What boat are you talking about? What build method? A make, model and year would be helpful and a more refined question certainly would as well. What are you attempting to do?

3. monrosm@shrewsb

monrosm@shrewsb Junior Member

Sorry, should have been more specific....I need to build an interior CAD model for a 50ft boat, it has been benchmarked against the Fairline Targa 52.
    Coming to build the lower deck I need to get a rough Idea of how far in from the exterior hull I can start to build. So im trying to get a measurement for the distance between the outer and inner skin (doublebottom) of the hull!

Targa 52
    http://www.fairline.com/#/targa/

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...emm, this is difficult. The outer skin, the hull, only has an inner skin, the liner, cos it makes it nice and pretty inside the engine room (you did say double bottoms). There is also the fact engine beds and longitudinals and cross members also are included in this moulding, but it is a composite of thicknesses. They try to get the liner as close to the outer skin as possible to get as much room as possible, but because the main longitudinals are included, means that in say a 50 footer, then they will be about 12 inches high, divide the engine room with a walkway (as such) and the rest of the inner liner will be intimate to the outer skin, bonded these days with Plexus (for instance).

Now if we go to the topsides, where i believe that you are actually referring to as you seem to want to make interiors, then there is a problem in that we do knot know if the boat is foam sandwich (would expect so) or solid layup above waterline. The moulded depth of the hull (the thickness as measured from outside to inside) will be different for each. Solid would be only 10 to 20mm, foam would be 20 to25mm.. Also you have to allow again for longitudinals, say about 100mm, plus any cavities that are designed in to allow access to electrical and plumbing and also the engine room vents take up a big hole too......so you can see it is not a simple answer, you will need to know more about the boat, but the design drawings will show all this for you anyhow, just read em.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The logical step is to research the base line model and move from there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.