Cabin mockup on Clippercraft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by EStaggs, Oct 8, 2009.

1. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Hoping some of you designer-types can have a look at her and let me know your thoughts. This is a quickie eyeball and masking tape job of prototyping, and below with some scrap in place of panels to help fill the idea out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So currently she is set up for the sole to be self bailing with 4" of height above the waterline unloaded, and around 2" above when loaded for tuna. The boat lives in the desert but will be trailered to Ilwaco, Westport, Neah bay, and the San Juans for sportfishing. Im 6'3" tall, so she has 6' sides above the sole and will have around 6" of total crown so I can walk in the boat. The windshield rises just fwd of the main bulkhead.

The boat will be used coastally up to around 60 NM offshore of Wa State. Her main targets are albacore, halibut, salmon and lingcod, so you can see thats pretty much every type of water we have on this coast. The hull is a well regarded dory locally, but the cabin is still up for grabs.

If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. Any of you designer or doodling people, if you are bored today,scribble some lines on a napkin and let me know if I have some flaws in this.

Thanks!

E

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is really boxy looking. The reverse winchshield makes it seem even higher than it is. It adds a lot of windage and raised the center of gravity. It is usually what happens when you want headroom in a small boat. The offshore performance will be compromised.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Paint it flat black and call it the "Stealth Skiff" . . .

4. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Guys, Im all ears if you have any ideas or solutions to the problem. Im no designer, Im just a fireman with a boat building habit.

E

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Just about every aspect of yacht design requires a certain amount of compromise. Standing headroom on a boat that length will look like a Winnebago parked in the cockpit. You can't avoid this. You can try to hide it with higher freeboard. Why do you need standing headroom in a boat this length? Do you sit or stand while steering the boat? Most of us like to sit, which doesn't require standing headroom and certainly will look at lot better, not to mention will offer much less wind resistance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.