Hull Speed

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Robert Jansen, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You mean in the same way Einstein, Newton, Fleming, Watson & Crick et al all did??

It seems your only MO is to make money by subterfuge wrapped up in pseudo-science, by attempting to patent an idea. As if a "patent" actually means something scientific and a major breakthrough...????!! :eek:

2. Robert Jansen

Robert Jansen Junior Member

I have been involved in independent research of the mathematics of self organizing nonlinear dynamic systems for some years now. This research provides the foundation of my understanding of the theoretical model I have devised. In any event, I know of solutions involving compressible fluid flow (gases) that are in agreement with my theoretical model, so I find it reasonable to extrapolate those findings to incompressible flow. The same equations apply.

My theoretical model relies heavily upon my understanding of the mathematics of self organizing nonlinear dynamic systems as they apply to systems of fluid flow.

Chaos theory has been described by others as one of the most important discoveries of the 20th century. Applied chaos theory is a powerful tool, and no one whose work involves systems of fluid flow with fluid flow should be without a working familiarity of the discipline.

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Ah, the flapping boat again....

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Ahh there we have it.

Just like Ponds and Fleishman.

Funny how theory does not always live up to physical reality :(

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Reducing the wave system of a boat to a "bow wave" and a "stern wave" is an over-simplification for many purposes. The wave system is generated along the entire length of the hull.

Has any analysis been done with your theoretical model? Thin ship theory might be a useful tool depending on what your idea is. If so then you might take a look at using Michlet for analysis.

Any experiements?

Also note that not all vessels plane at higher speeds. Many narrow hulls have low drag without generating significant hydrodynamic lif.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Cold fusion claims were based on experimental results.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Flawed experiments repeated by no one!

8. yipster

yipster designer

Hot title Hot topic more than curious i'm too!
    "beaten the hulspeed" another CP can do that but by how much
    chaos and wave cacelation hulls are only good at fixed speeds
    Talk to proffesor Leo the wave expert and let us hear a ya or nee with plan
    Did you check the search button on hullspeed and patents?
    Many discusions on the topic but if you too cant tell, well.. Dont think were gona take
    your word for it, sorry. Bit strange you didnt try a model yet eighter.
    save yourself abundle and talk with some of the experts here first, think their ok
    but ask on black and white without the consult bill, theyr crazy enouch te help
    one more thing on a temperory patent filing, here it was so I allready had prtectio for the duration, comon tell us, probably for the initiated here an anticlimax but we wont boo
    now it feels you hijacked us all to a u.known destination, if, witch we doubt your rite
    than, even when published first here, you'r good for extended vacation all luxurys incl.
    were is Leo Lazoukas when we need him?

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I don't see any sign this thing has actually been built and tested on the water, with performance figures given. Why not ?

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

My 18 foot canoe does 20kts, with a 5hp, proving a battleship can plane given enough horsepower.

11. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Depends on the definition of planing. Any boat will exceed "hull speed" with enough power. How stable it will be is another question.

But if planning means the boat is supported at least xx% by dynamic lift or a similar definition then some boats will plane and others won't.

12. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I think we should cut Mr Jansen a little slack. We have had numerous posters who have made some claim of a new, novel and great discovery in hull design and performance. After going back and forth with no real revelation of anything physical, the thread always dies with the OP wondering why no one takes him seriously. So far, nothing of value has come of any of them to my knowledge. Obviously Robert is just fishing to see if anyone has done or knows of anything that compromises his application. No way for us to know since the information is bound to travel only one way if such information is known.

This jealous protection of hopefully "patentable" ideas in a field like boat design seldom yields any significant financial reward to the inventor anyway. Maybe he has something of real value. If so, I wish him the best but am not willing to put in a lot of effort trying to help him based on the slim leads given.

13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

That is a tricky statement. Having observed a boat sink itself when towed past its "hull speed", the definition gets pretty murky.

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Note the next sentence I wrote in that post which you omitted : How stable it will be is another question.

By stability I meant dynamic stability, ie will it stay upright and on the surface?

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Filing patents without having tested some kind of model or prototype seems silly to me.