Hull skin cost per square meter

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by guzzis3, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You can still buy through Nuplex. I regularly buy resin, glass and carbon fibre through their trade store in Springvale.

2. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Thank you for that. They used to be a good compromise between price and expertise. Confusingly they have 2 addresses at wacol now and I'm not sure which is the retail outlet. Anyway when I get to t point of needing to buy some stuff...

3. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Its not in my view just the impact, but more abrasion resistance, carbon is actually very soft and that outer layer is just enough to stop the damage from sanding and prep for the outer finish.

As a bonus and I would probably put as much emphasis on this, that very fine outer layer acts as a really good tell tale to how well you are laying up the carbon with epoxy, simply wet out the carbon to where you think is right and then lay over the glass at 45 degrees, roll or compound it in with a spreader and the glass will instantly wick out any excess and or show the dry areas, it works a charm and you can get really good layups with it without all the drama .

4. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

I don't follow, by my calc 1 x 200gsm carbon cloth @ £ 10.00 + 1 x 120 E glass @ £ 2.80 + about 400 gms of epoxy is probably tougher, lighter, easier to lay up, uses less consumables, stiffer, cheaper and about 20 other reasons than 2 x 280gsm @ £ 3.64 + 1 100gsm ( the fabric indent on the 280 is too much to fill and you are better off to use a light outer fabric ) £ 2.80 + 1kg of vinylester.

Do consider importing rolls of cloth from the States and perhaps the UK from Easicomposites http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/ which will export no problem from the UK. Do look in the Wholesale and roll ends tab to get the best deals.

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Oops, I saw 8 pounds missed the 2X: 2 x 300 gsm glass is about £ 8.00 so it's 28 pounds not 36 for both sides. Sorry. So that's $47AU at todays exchange rate. Plus resin...

I accept there are many reasons to love carbon but I was originally just comparing the cost of skins, not the other issues. For example I didn't talk about the limited resale of ply...

It's a pity I can't ship a boat cheaply from the uk.

http://www.boatwizardwebsolutions.c...&type=%28Sail%29&sm=3&cit=true&searchtype=buy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.