Free 16' Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Daniel Noyes, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Daniel Noyes

Daniel Noyes Junior Member

I have a experimental, home built composite Trimaran hull. has been outside for several yrs and in need of reconditioning, 16' center hull, 8' planing type akas, 8ft wide, will likely need to be cut into two or three pices for transport. biplane rig (trifoiler inspired) rig is widsurfer masts, booms, sails (not included) supported by foam/glass tripod masts. free to a good home, well built but not being used.
    Dan
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com

2. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

If I could, I would! Have you let everybody on WBF know about it? Oh wait it's made of The Other Stuff.

3. Daniel Noyes

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Dan's free trimaran

Dan,

What is going to keep that boat from rolling offwind and forward along the vector lines into a pitchpole?

I would think that the design would need substantial pitch/role resistance well forward, OR a seriously reduced sail area, in order to deal with the forces present while sailing.

Chris

5. Daniel Noyes

The three times I had her sailing she showed no signs of pitchpoling or rooting, none. the windsurfer rig develops power so low that there is very little lever arm to initiate a pitch pole. I initially envisoned the sailor spending most of his time sailing from the deck on the rear ama sliding on it to adjust trim like a sliding seat on an international canoe, but when I sailed in moderate winds but only with one sail I spent most of my time about amidships... the bow is extremely bouyant and resists any forward pitching forces easily.
    The Tri was designed for use with a ventilating front hydrofoil, a flat plate that generated lift like a foil untill it broke the waters surface then ran along the top as a highly efficient planing hull and also controlled the attitude of the aft hydrofoil, that remained submerged and carried 80% +- of the weight of craft and sailor... 8 yrs. later I have yet to build the foils.
    so
    free to a good home
    Dan

6. Daniel Noyes

7. Daniel Noyes

8. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Dan, I'd love to have it, though I might build longer floats-- but I live too far away, in NW Florida.

By the way, your dory is beautiful, and you've taken some very effective photos of it.

9. Daniel Noyes

Hi Ray
    Yes the tri is still awaiting a good home, and yes the hulls are short for a traditional tri, the idea was for the akas to be like little stabalizing floats while the sailer used his weight to windward to really counter the healing moment of the sails(almost like floats on a sailing canoe), that way the akas could be much smaller and lighter, not responsible for floating the whole contraption up on one hull.
    I think the shallow rudders you mentioned on WBF will work fine on your cat, mabey even better than on a mono hull because your leward hull will actually be deeper than the static waterline by quite a bit alowing for more than enough rudder controll, the nice thing is these shallow rudders are so much simpler than a kickup (almost nothing to fiddle with or break), they can also be built pretty rugged.
    Dan

10. Daniel Noyes

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.