Hull shape help please

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

The boat and immersed floats

Hello all

The boat looks like John Westell design. The Sea Bird (not positive about the name) designs had swing wings that could fold really easily. They swung like the Dragonfly tris but years before Farrier or Dragonfly were thought of. This means the floats needed to be pretty well immersed to give stability when folded. A lightly immersed float when folded would let the boat heel much more than when the floats were extended. So don't assume the floats are heavy - they are probably designed to be deeply immersed.

As for the transom - it may have some folding requirement - maybe it has to fit under a part of the cockpit. You would have to look at the boat carefully to see.

John Westell designs were a mulit equivalent of a sturdy mono so don't think of them and a new style multi in the same vein.

cheers

Phil Thompson

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Indeed a Sea Bird. Looking at it I wonder if it could fly a hull :D and ancient too. Must have been one of the first that can sail to wind :D

I peeped into the ports, the space inside the hull looks quite small. I suspect the newer tri's like farriers would have much more space. There is also no provision made on the sea bird to use the ama's for storage, only two small inspection ports. It may well be possible to get a small trampoline on that ama frame construction, if you don't fold it.

That frame btw is extremely heavy. I tried to pick it up, but it's solid.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.