Hull shape/DIY plans recomendations for planning 16' 40Hp boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by S V, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

There are any amount of PE water tanks in use in outdoor locations in full sun, and in various colours, I don't know that UV is that much of a peril.

2. Mr Efficiency

That hull is 10 degrees according to the specs, it is quite beamy and would plane easily with 40 hp I'd say, but realistically your speed would be modest, maybe 20 mph cruise. Obviously people want to go faster, and put bigger engines on them, but if you are on confined bodies of water, distances are not great, and 20 mph is good progress. You would not want to be contending with much in the way of chop, but dryness should be an advantage.

3. S V

S V Junior Member

For standard *PE it is. For start - how long they are in the sun? 2 years? 5? 20? How thick they are? Is the color solid or very close to clear or natural? Is the color dark, like dark navy blue, or khaki green? Do their physical properties are the same as when they were new? And most importantly... what kind of anti-UV aditives the *PE they are built has? (I am sure it has). There are many rotomolded boats with different colors and even some nice metallic-like shine, but this knowledge is out of my league.

2 of the biggest manufacturers whose production is easilly available in my country have only black UV resistant sheets listed as standard, so I am pretty stuck with what freelly available.

4. S V

S V Junior Member

40Hp is hard limit, and projected 20 mph (thats around 36kmh) is acceptable.
    But as i look at this project - it is very very very similar to "sever 420" i talked about... Do you know this, Sever420, project?

5. Mr Efficiency

The one in the video ? That seems a much smaller boat.

6. S V

S V Junior Member

Yes, the one in the video. This is 4.20m boat, that is almost 14 feet. My boat will be a bit over 16.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.