hull shape and comfort

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

while I continue to persue the Sol Cal rule beater, I contuinue to sail my Beneteau 321 here in the gulf coast. I just got back from a 150 offshore race and am astounder how well the boat went but how horrible the ride. Images of a submarine being depth charged comes to mind. I loved the offshore race but now am reluctant to do it again with this boat. I dont want to go so far to the other camp (westsail) for example.

What to do? I was wondering what the old timers have to say, like how does a Beneteau 50 compare in comfort with a Columbia 50? Is one a plusher ride? Is one squirlley downwind? Where does the Peterson 44/46 fit in this ?

Thanks

Mike Puig

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Designs based on workboats usually are more seakindly. Workboats don't follow rating rules, therefore they were and are desinged with more common sense. Even though they won't point as well, on a reach they will give any race boat a run for their money. Another interesting thing about workboats is that they are developed for a certain area and service. If you look for boat designed for where you sail, they will meet your needs better.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.