Looking to build a 12' run around

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by West Denny 33, Aug 14, 2020.

1. West Denny 33

West Denny 33 Junior Member

Hi All,

Just found this board & joined this board, I am looking to start my first boat build this winter. Looking forward to any and all help that from everyone and resources available. Not sure what exactly I will build but want something small to put around the Bass River on Cape Cod then drop anchor at Boater's Beach. I don't have my own boat but have been boating with Freedom Boat Club for two years...we are hooked! if anyone knows a great place to get marine grade plywood on the Cape (mid Cape) let me know.

2. tpenfield

tpenfield Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum . . .

Got any sketches of what you are planning on building?

If you Google "Marine Plywood Cape Cod" you should find a few sources . . .

Premium Plywood & Specialties, Hyannis, MA
    Boulter Plywood, Medford/Somerville, MA

You could also try Mid-Cape Lumber . . . not sure they would stock it though . . .

For Fiberglass & Resins, I have used Joe Merton (Merton's) in Springfield, MA . . . Not sure if anyone else is closer to you.

3. West Denny 33

Thanks I will check the places out, haven't settled on a design yet most likely will be custom taking design elements from a few.

4. West Denny 33

tpenfield I see you are in MA, have you built and registered a boat in MA? If so, any tips/advice on how to make this process go smoothly?

5. tpenfield

tpenfield Senior Member

This is the only boat that I have built from scratch (so far . . .) an 8-1/2 foot pram dinghy . . . fiberglass over foam. I have 'plans' to build a 14-16' runabout . . . someday.

[​IMG]

When you build your own boat, you will have/want to get a Hull ID Number (HIN) assigned by the state. If I recall correctly, you contact the Dept of Environmental Law Enforcement to have your newly built boat inspected. They typically have an inspection day every so often where you bring your boat to be inspected. Bring some evidence that you built the boat . . . material receipts, pictures, etc., in case they ask about it.

When I got my my inspected, the inspection site was a rest stop out on the Mid-Cape highway. There were all sorts of boats there with different situations . . . some home-built boats, and some that had the HIN eradicated or improper documentation.

My boat was easy . . . they inspector took a quick look at it and assigned a HIN to it and gave me the paperwork to get a title & registration. I did have to go to the MA Dept of Revenue and get a sales tax waiver, since I showed paying tax for the materials for the boat.

Then my last stop was at the Dept of Environmental Law Enforcement for the registration and title.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  6. West Denny 33

Great info thank you, i read somewhere that i have go to DELE so was planning on calling them before I start anything. Dingy came out great, I’m looking forward to this and wife is behind it so removes one hurdle.

I'm leaning this direction with a modified cabin for more seating, probably go with outboard (would love to power with jet ski jet) and possibly slightly more pronounced V hull

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Sounds like a really nice project. I wish you the best with it. There are quite a few boat builders in RI, especially in Newport and Providence. Call a few. The must have suppliers for wood, resins, glues etc. I'm sure they won't mind telling you who the local suppliers are.