Hull or hull & deck broke apart during 40-50 mph turn

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jeff, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Happened to see this on the "local" news tonight - don't have any details or even know what boat this was, but I'm curious to hear what went wrong:

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

A couple of years back, I watched a family friend come hurtling up the river in his lightweight (kevlar etc) and very expensive new ski race boat. At about 70mph they hit the small wake from a passing boat and the boat completely disintergrated. Luckily neither of the two aboard were seriously injured.
    The manufacturer, surprise, surprise didn't want to know anything about it. "They had built many such boats before and never had a problem". Most however were of conventional GRP construction. To me it was evidence that you can't simply take an otherwise well engineered boat, change how it is built and expect to end up with something lighter but just as strong.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.