hull model testing

Discussion in 'Stability' started by wardd, Sep 27, 2009.

1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

i was thinking weights and balance and loading and to get an idea of how it would behave , rolling etc?

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

It's probably not a good method because (among others):
    1. You wont get the same type of separation near the stern, and you might get unusual flow separation at the bow. Hence there might be some very odd form drag effects.
    2. Skin-friction depends mostly on the wetted surface area.
    3. There are some interactions between the waves on the hull and the boundary layer for surface-piercing vessels, so skin-friction is not exactly proportional to surface area. Remember: it's Froude's "Hypothesis", not Froude's "Law
    " :)

The idea of a double body is used in some analytical treatments (albeit in a different way), so your proposal is not a completely silly idea.

Leo.

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Leo
    I'm sorry, I missed your posts here for some reason the boat design email didn't flag any reply.

Thanks for your effort it's appreciated.

I have seen studies on brash ice but not oil, it may have been one of the early ship science reports but unfortunantely it's too escoteric for me to have filed it anywhere. The Baltic coutires naval research would be very likely have material in this line.

Cheers

4. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

Yes I have seen some results and I have even seen the experiments a few times at the ice model basin near by: http://www.stxeurope.com/businessareas/otheroperations/arctictechnology/services/

Unfortunately I don't have anything I could show you nor did I find any reports from the internet.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.