Remove single pack paint applied to two pack substrate

Discussion in 'Materials' started by WhiteDwarf, Feb 4, 2012.

1. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

I need to repaint a plywood dinghy (Jack Holt Heron). The original but tatty paint job was two pack Northane. It was overcoated with single pack International.

To apply another coat of two pack, I need to remove the single pack.

Can anybody recommend an alternative to getting down and sanding it?

Thank you.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

How about paint stripper ? You may get lucky and find one that attacks the one-pack ,and not the underlying 2-pack. Maybe a pressure cleaner to assist the process after the paint stripper has softened it up, scraping is hard work. Or just stick to the one-pack recoat, saves a lot of work and will look and perform well. I'd imagine dings in ply won't be any less noticeable in 2-pack.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Pressure cleaners have to be used very cautiously on wood. They can break the wood fibers and glue joints. A stripper may work, but you should consult the manufacturer for compatibility. It could deteriorate the Northane and make the finish coat blister and peel.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Just sand , prime and paint.

5. Mr Efficiency

That would be the smart idea, I think, but sounded like he wanted to return to 2-pack. Trouble with that is the surface would need to be 100% free of the one-pack or turn into an ugly mess.

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Not always... take some two part thinner on a rag and wet an area of old paint. if the old finish wrinkles you must remove...if not sand prime paint.

7. Mr Efficiency

So there are one pack paints that aren't attacked by the two-pack solvent ? Any idea which type(s) ?

8. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

Mr. Efficiency, you are spot on, I plan to go back to two pack. If I sand off the single-pack, I will have to completely eliminate the material, including any particles left behind in the abraded surface.

Michael's suggested use of thinners, might achieve the necessary removal.

Thank you, all for your suggestions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.