Hull files anyone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Splint, Mar 4, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hello Splint,
    Hello Brenton,

the easiest way to "produce" a simple hull is "carlson" .Hul imho. It makes hardchines only, but that is not a real obstacle. If you have made a simple model of what you think may roughly fit your needs, save it and import it then in "freeship" there you easily finetune the shape (make it round bilge for example) and export in .dxf or many other "formats" to use from now on the software you are most familiar with.
    But one point to mention:
    making a nice "design" of a boat has to be seen in the words elementary sense: "drawing a fashionable peace of art" and has nothing in common with the thorough "development" of a seagoing vessel, named "design" as well.
    The former is to achieve by every amateur, able to use the appropriate software, the latter has to be done by professionals, NA´s in this case.
    Regards
    Richard

2. deathcloud88

deathcloud88 Junior Member

edited

splint

sorry to hear that you had to change your priorities for the moment, i hope it is not do to unsavory circumstances.

But we happen to be in the same boat so to speak, i would like to build a metal boat for recreation and experience. I'm a welder and novice cad/cam user and have friends that can do just about anything imaginable. But i lack the knowledge about boats and hulls to just jump in and start drawing.

So if you or anyone else here on the forum point out some books or websites that could help, it would be most appreciated. I'm interested in building a boat similar to a super air nautique or a malibu wakesetter.

sorry again that you had to put you project to the side.

Brenton

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

As far as it seems, you are able to read, are you?............

4. deathcloud88

deathcloud88 Junior Member

LOL i can for the most part.:p

5. Splint

Splint Junior Member

The reasons for a change in priority are all good. At the ripe old age of 39 I've decided to pursue a long time interest and commence study to become a mechanical engineer. Fortunately an opportunity to change jobs (still with the same company) has put me in a position where I can do some study while at work as my new job allows me to do that whilst still being 100% efficient as far as productivity is concerned. Fortunately my colleagues and supervisors are all supportive of me going down this path and doing it the way I am as the company benefits from me becoming more skilled which comes at no cost to the company. The various projects I have will just have to wait until I have free time between trimesters at university.

What I would suggest is to find a boat similar to what you want to build and take lots of measurements of it. Get the angles, lengths and widths, measure where curves begin and end etc, get ergonomic dimensions, basically get enough data to draw a reasonably similar boat to what you measured up. Stick closely to the critical dimensions such as dead rise, the shape of the bow, location and position of the motor, all that stuff is tried and proven to work, it's a known formula, don't try and reinvent the wheel.

What I did was searched for top, side and rear views of boats in the net so I could bring the images into Rhino and trace over then to make a start. Obviously you don't want to make a direct copy of some existing boat or you could have a copyright lawsuit on you hands. Just use these drawings as a learning aid , then come up with something original.

A few manufacturers have top view images of their boats on their web sites, also search through this site http://www.copyright.gov/vessels/list/index.html but for obvious reasons don't make a direct copy of anything you see here.

Hope this helps.
    Splint

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.