Maxsurf problem !

Discussion in 'Software' started by japix, Mar 7, 2005.

1. japix

japix New Member

Hello everyone
    I have a little bit broblem with maxsurf .If I saving design and try open it again a get the message "maxsurf cannot open this entire design.Please select up to 3 surfaces " This is a problem because I have 9 surfaces !
    This maxsurf is a tutorial version.
    I`m very thankful for all kind of ansvers
    Japix

2. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

As I was told, and I think you can find it on the forum, the demo (tutorial) version is limited to 3 surfaces.

That could be a good reason?

3. japix

japix New Member

Thanks Daniel
    That i was thinking too....i`m asking just to be sure.
    -Japix-

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Japix

The demo version of Maxsurf is not limited in the number of surfaces you can read, but does not save or print.

Maxsurf Academic is a fully working version i.e. it prints and saves, however it is limited to 3 surfaces only. I assume that this is the version you are using.

regards

5. mvd535

mvd535 Junior Member

The following question is refering to Hullspeed (HS).
    Can I use HS to get hull resistence for a catamaran ?.
    I was lookin at the HS Manual, but I could not find anything about it or how
    use it for catamarans.
    Many thanks to anybody can help me on this.

6. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

yes .you can
    If the vessel type is correctly defined in Maxsurf, Hullspeed will automatically generate a symmetrical mesh that is centred on the local demihull centreline.

7. mvd535

mvd535 Junior Member

Dear Zeroname,

Many thanks for your quick replay.
    Yes, your are right, actually I do have my cata defined at MS, and I can read it at HS without any problem.
    Question is about HS results after apply the right method, for example Holtrop. You see, the results are not considered right to me, so that is why I was doing this question through BDF.
    Have you any experience by running catamarans at HS to predict speeds ?.
    If is so, can I send my MS file to you, so you can feed me back with what you will consider correct in term of hull resistence results ?.
    Thanks

8. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

mvd,

i am not much expert on catamaran , it will be better if you ask Andrew Mason to help u if he want.

thanks

9. Andrew Mason

The only method in Hullspeed that is suitable for multihulls is the slender body method. Holtrop will give you the resistance for a single hull, but multihull resistance is much more complex than that due to the interactions between the hulls.

Have a look at the details of the slender body method in the Hullspeed documentation at http://www.fdsfiles.com/releases/manuals/HSManual.pdf.

Page 22 describes the method for monohulls, Page 26 starts the description of multihulls.

10. mvd535

mvd535 Junior Member

Andrew,

Many thanks for your appreciated answer.

Unfortunately I do not have direct access to Maxsurf and Hullspeed software but through a MS & HS licenced naval architect friend that is giving me consultant services with charge.

Additionally, no one here, that I know, has updated to release 13, which is, as far as I understand, the only version that has catamaran analysis.

So, question is : Are you able to give me this type of service ?.
    I already paid for the MS file which I can send it to you.
    I can pay to you by sending your fees amount through FedEx or similar.

Also, it will be very interesting to know any current special offer from Formsys (if available), so I can study the possibility to buy the MS & HS last version software licence (one seat) for me.

Many thanks for your quick replay.
    According to the Formsys website, there is no MS representative here, so this
    let me free to buy from any country including Australia.

11. Andrew Mason

As much as I appreciate the offer of getting paid, I just don't have sufficient time to take on consulting work. However there may be Hullspeed users on this forum who can help you.

Please contact Carolyn Hawley at (email: carolynh at formsys.com) to discuss pricing options, I'm sure she can work out something that is suitable.

Andrew

12. ekamarine

ekamarine Junior Member

mvd,
    You can contact through Formsys website to get an offer and also a trial copy. It doesn't matter whether there is a representative in your area or not.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.