Kevlar Guideboat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by yellow cab, Sep 26, 2007.

1. yellow cab

yellow cab New Member

I'm going to start building a kevlar guideboat in about a month, and I have that oh so ubiquitous book on the subject of kevlar canoe building. However I've run into a snag with my research, I can't seem to find kevlar in weights above 6 oz. Although I have found carbon fibre in heavier weights, and I would like to know if that is a simple substitute? Also, dose anyone know why no one seems to be stocking such heavy kevlar fabric?

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

IIRC most Kevlar composite panels rely on the build up of layers of the fabric to achieve the maximum strength/resistance to puncture such as in a bullet proof vest which will have many many layers. For boat building I don't think Kevlar is all that ideal for a 1-off build. You might want to investigate materials such as biaxial carbon fiber fabrics such as Saermax. These come in some very heavy weights allowing quick layups. http://www.saertex.com

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

There was an hour on Bullet proofing etc on TV. They spent quite a bit of time on the Kevlar vests etc.
    The one thing those Kevlar vests are not good at all is sticking together closly enough to hold air or water.
    To watch the close-up and slo-motion films of the bullet impact on the Kevlar is really impressive.
    As far as usefulness in a boat, you might want to make your inflatable Bullet proof with a few layers of Kevlar.
    I'm surprised the Military hasn't come up with that one yet.
    Kevlar's too expensive and actually not the right stuff to make a boat out of.

PS: What's a Guide boat? Is it one of those big 17' long by 40" wide, Freighter Canoes?

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

5. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

Kevlar is fairly common as a boat building material here in the States. For instance Wenona Canoe uses Kevlar in several of its models of canoes.

Winonas racing site:

http://www.wenonahracing.com/

6. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Thanks Bagger, that's a handsome craft for sure.

I had a long ride in a wooden strip and strap version of that up in Ontario.
    I never got over the tippyness of a Canoe.
    My Round bottom and overweight top is more suited to a Raft!

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yup, it's a nice one. I especially like their pack-boat. They say it's pretty stable as opposed to a round bottom one.

I don't have a round bottom, meself, though, but I tend to go overboard in tippy small crafts anyway

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.