Canopy thots?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saqa, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hi fellas
    I want to explore some sun protection for the family out on the water. With my boat getting to the primer stage in a few days I want to sort something out. Problem is here in Fiji that there is a lack of suitable materials and huge cost factor when something from Australia or similar is sold in a dealer here

I have been thinking about the bimini style hoods. Utes/pickups here run a canopy made from mild steel frame covered in a pvc fabric. This stuff is well priced and seems ok to use on the boat but I cant find aluminum tubing at all. My options seems limited to PVC tubing, galvanised tubing or wooden dowels

Fabricating all the joints and such will be a PIA to get the full bimini effect. Does anyone know of any other tips and tricks I could possibly employ to a good effect? I am not hugely keen on a fixed roof thingy as I do a lot of standup casting

2. micah719

micah719 Plotting Dreamer

You didn't say what kind of boat it is. Centre console? If so, how about a big umbrella stuck in a pipe mounted to the console. The pipe doubles as a rod/harpoon holder when the umbrella is stowed.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Wood rods or dowels can work fine. For the top, you can steam bend them to give them a curve.

4. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member