Camping Pod for pontoon suggestions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

This is a request for input in the design of a camping POD that can be placed on a pontoon boat and removed to be stored or attached to a trailer or a suitable flatbed truck.

This is not intended to be a DIY houseboat. A teardrop style camper is the primary consideration, but the POD doesn't need to be of any particular tear like shape.

A simple concept, a sleeping POD that is lightweight, that can be used in all 4 seasons, can provide storage, a head and small galley arrangement.

This POD could be raised and lowered by a hoist system (that could be incorporated on the POD) allowing it to be raised and placed on or off the deck of a pontoon boat, 22 feet up to 28 feet in length with customary beam. The POD could also be set on a trailer frame or on a flatbed truck. The POD could utilize skids allowing it to be used on the ground. The POD itself should not exceed 8' (L)
    X 6' (W) X 4 1/2" (H). The POD doesn't need standing headroom but high enough to sit up and be somewhat upright entering and exiting the unit. That shouldn't rule out any pop up roof.

There are various construction materials that could be used. Another possibility is having wheels or casters allowing the POD to be moved or slide up and down on a ramp. Awnings may be attached to cover cooking or shower facilities. Consider the ability to use heaters and air conditioning, where such units may or may not be attached to the POD. Solar is an option and will be used to some extent.

Another possibility would be a track system allowing the POD to slide on a mounting platform, simply lock it in place after mounting.

Let's keep the POD in the affordable range for a similar teardrop build, not exceeding $25,000.00

I don't have access to programs for drafting, I can't use CAD or other engineering programs. I've hunted for examples and haven't found anything unique along these lines. Most considerations are simply teardrop campers or small box type units with access at the sides, however a bow entrance would best suit this camper.

I do intend on building this in some fashion to use on my 23.5' Pontoon w/60 hp Bigfoot, on a utility trailer and on an F-150.

I'd really like to hear and see what ideas pop up.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Are you able to do a basic sketch on paper with a pencil and a ruler to give a rough idea as to what you have in mind?
    Can you post a photo or two of your 23.5' pontoon boat for reference please?

Have you seen the Teardrop Camper from Chesapeake Light Craft?
    Build-your-own Teardrop Camper Kit and Plans https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop

Wavewacker likes this.
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The first thing to consider is the total weight. A pontoon of that size usually have a maximum load of about 1800 to 2100 lb., depending on the diameter. That will determine, to a large extent, what you can carry. Also, you will be adding a lot of weigh high up. That will affect the stability quite a lot. This means that the maximum amount of passengers will be reduced considerably.

Wavewacker likes this.
  4. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Casters are absolutely out; they would not survive a single excursion over most of the boat ramps I've seen. Wheels are a must, and at minimum should be the diameter of typical boat trailer wheels. Bicycle wheels would work if the pod were built lightly enough.

I'm going to make a crude guess and say that you could build livable boxes the same way you'd build a small plywood boat and create a large fleet of them for $25K. You could design it with enough room for a bucket commode in the corner and maybe a little stove.

To me, the challenge is designing one to fit into the bed of a pickup; more than half of the pod's length will need to fit between the fender wells, but that could provide some built-in seating, or at least a part of it. Then you need some rails or rollers and a winch to get it on the truck. Maybe the rails could be built into the pontoon's deck; that's more complexity than I'll think about for now.

I'd just go ahead and make the whole pod an emergency boat in its own right. The entrance would need to be a high step-over, but then you just glass the whole thing and put a good seal on the hatch. Fasten it to the 'toon's deck with some sort of quick-release clamps, and if one of your pontoons got fatally holed, you should have time to pop the pod free and get inside it. Even if it never had to serve this duty it would still keep you (and itself) dry no matter what. Then again, it might promptly roll over as soon as it floated.

Just some ideas.

Wavewacker likes this.
  5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I'll see if I can get my son in town to do pictures, I have a cell phone but I don't have a clue how to load pictures on my computer, when I was born some homes still had crank telephones, so I'm technologically deficient. I can copy and paste links, thanks for this one.

6. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why I stated it needs to be light weight, like a foamie camper.
    I should have stated too, persons and pets aboard will be about 500 lbs, there is a big dog!

The weight is more critical on the boat than the trailer or truck, most likely we'll carry less fresh water and more beer.
    The plate says 14 persons, I'll need to check that weight. Although, that is established with that model fitted with the standard furniture, I'll probably be removing considerable weight.

Wind is a concern as well, which is why I didn't want to exceed 4 1/2 ' in height.

7. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Rather than downloading a photo (or photos) to my computer from the phone using using a USB cable, I sometimes email a photo to myself from my phone.
    Then I open the photo on the computer, and save it to a folder.
    And then I can attach that photo to a post on here, using the 'upload a file' button in the bottom right hand corner (between 'Post reply' and 'More options').

Re the weight of the camper, how frequently do you anticipate loading it on and off the pontoon boat?
    Would it be perhaps every weekend, or just at the beginning and the end of the summer, or somewhere in between perhaps?
    What is you currently preferred method for loading it on and off?

Wavewacker likes this.
  8. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thank you! Obviously I wasn't clear about "casters", I was thinking of having them on the bottom of the unit to allow it to be "rolled" up and down a ramp, perhaps using a winch, maybe in a track on deck and on a trailer and on the truck. This might make loading and unloading easier, from it sitting on blocks in the yard to the deck, The POD would be mounted to the boat on land, it wouldn't be rolled out to the craft from shore.

However, I can see that being an advantage at times. I suppose small trailer wheels, like 12" with tires could be fitted to each corner as/when needed and removed. Thanks for prompting that idea! The truck would be a flatbed, no sides or tailgate.

The concept isn't for an escape pod, just a hard covered sleeping area that provides better protection than a tent.

We both prefer our own bunks that we can get out of like a normal bed. Speaking up a pickup (my truck bed can be removed) if the pod were designed on the bottom like a truck camper, those beds would be just above the wheel wells on both sides. Then on the trailer or deck storage boxes could be built on both sides for the POD to slide over and be locked down.

Sorry for the big picture, but if this had an entry on the back as well, something like this could work. Bunks on the sides, small shelf between at the rear for a cooker in bad weather. Air and heat under the cooking shelf. Storage under the bunks and a porta bucket at the end of the bunk toward the forward hatch. Or, something similar.

[​IMG]

bajansailor likes this.
  9. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Thank you, I don't have an email anymore but I could use one, I get that!

Good question and hadn't considered that. I suppose that boils down to how hard it would be to transfer the POD, it would likely be used more on the trailer, then the truck, then the boat. I'd like to do some river touring in the next two years, larger rivers in the Midwest in Mo. Ar. Tn. Kn. La. Tx. Ok. including the lakes. During those months the POD would stay on the boat. I've also considered using the boat as a camper, but that wouldn't be in "backcountry" areas.

10. Barry

Barry Senior Member

https://www.actiontrucks.com/spacek...MI8Jri-KP3-QIVWCCtBh0n_QhGEAAYASAAEgLRuPD_BwE

Just a place to start. Truck canopies would be worth a look as there are many in a "high rise" configuration. Side and front windows that open though the rear door might need a modification.
    I think that these space caps might have an integral floor but others are just mounted on a trucks sill using the bed to complete the sides.

Often (without the floor) they are lightweight, waterproof (dependent on sill mounting) and built of material that can stand 4 seasons.

They are about the size that you are looking for

Wavewacker and bajansailor like this.

11. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

@Barry

Thanks, I began thinking about this concept employing the idea of a pickup truck topper or camper but the type that are level with the cab roof.

That unit, I believe it said, had a interior height of 6'2", too tall to look over while the boat is underway. (which is why limited the height to 4/4'6").

The reason I got away from truck toppers is that they don't have an integral floor and lower walls and they look like a truck topper.

I have a motorcycle camping trailer that could fit in the back of the truck or be pulled. It could also sit on the deck and it would look like a camper unfolded on a pontoon boat. I don't care for that look. I'd rather have a classier looking shanty. :)

As to materials, I'm considering 1/2 foam insulation board, "blueboard" and gluing 1/8" ply on the inside and outside with an additional hard surface material over the ply outside. I think the floor could be 1/2" ply with 1 1/2" box aluminum stringers under the floor running the length, roughly on 12" centers. A simple aluminum frame for the body with 1 1/2" box should do.

[​IMG]

Something like this might do, from the bed rails up. Could the floor be made like a trap floor that folds down making the lower wall sides when in the truck bed? Rails could be placed on the trailer to allow the same configuration as a truck bed.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.