Hull Delamination Or Not Enough Resin "pics"

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by crankit, Mar 27, 2012.

1. crankit

crankit Junior Member

I'm replacing stringers on our family boat and I've noticed a few patches of the hull that look a little odd. I'm thinking it maybe de-lamination or perhaps too little resin was applied during manufacturing?
    Here's A few pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this something to be concerned about?
    Can I grind out the strands and reapply epoxy?

Here's some more of the work I have ahead of me. The breaking up of the floor was my uncle getting a little too keen while I was away:eek:. So far it appears the stringers are only rotted on one side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The boat is a 1979 Caribbean Crusader which is similar to a Bertam 23, It's made in Australia. The stringers were made of Maranti and they used polyester and chopped strand mat to glue them in. I'm planing to use Epoxy but not sure exactly which mat to use. For fillets I've heard I can use epoxy mixed with talcum powder or Cabosil, the latter of which I haven't been able to find in Australia yet.

Strange thing I noticed is the center stringers don't go all the way to the transom. I would have thought this was not such a great idea. Most likely to allow for clearance for the y-pipe. (Pic from another Caribbean Crusader)
    [​IMG]

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, the fabrics were not completely wetted out during manufacture (most likely). You can grind out the areas and apply more fabrics, though if using epoxy, you really don't want, nor is it desirable to employ mat of any type. It just wastes resin. Epoxy is stronger enough to use just cloth, which saves material, resin, weight and layup time.

No, the stringers don't always come back to the transom. This is because the transom can then act as a lever (if they were attached) and rip the tabbing bonds from the stringers. The stringers are to stiffen the huge expanses of bottom panels, so they generally don't need to be attached to the transom.

Contact duckflatwoodenboats.com and get the filler materials you need.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.