Hull / Deck joint

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by thorhawaii, Sep 8, 2011.

1. thorhawaii

thorhawaii New Member

Hi all ! I have a custom built sailboat and noticed that the deck (plywood) is butted up against the hull and a thick layer of epoxy filler runs the entire length of the hull / deck joint (see photo for example) I was thinking to put fiberglass over the area for additional strength. I guess it's been holding up for the last 30 years but, I could see it separating from the hull eventually. Above deck it's glassed to the gunwales. Does anyone else know of this kind of construction?

Attached Files:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

If it has been there for 30 years it is well proven, so I would leave it that way.
    Sealing wood on one side increases the chance of moisture not being able to evaporate and causing wood rot.