Student needing some advice...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by peas88, Mar 22, 2006.

1. peas88

peas88 New Member

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I'm currently enrolled in a Degree in Applied Technology (Marine) at a local tertiary provider and as part of this course need to identify and overcome some problems in the marine field. I have had limited practical experience in this field and so are finding this task fairly difficult. There are few ideas it seems that havent been already solved, in part at least. Possibly a tribute to the innovative type that boats tend to attract :p

If anyone could offer some ideas that I could explore more fully I would appreciate it. Basically I need to apply technology to solve a problem, as well as produce a new product or service for the marine industry.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and I look forward to your imput.

2. Robert Gainer

Robert Gainer Designer/Builder

1. An easy way to get to the masthead by yourself for service on a sailboat.
    2. A self-retracting harness tether for a safety harness.
    3. Piston hanks that load in a cartridge to change jibs if you don’t use roller furling
    4. A way to have a roller furling headsail that lets you change sails without unrolling the sail before dropping it.
    5. A spinnaker pole that can stay attached to the mast for storage. Two poles for a downwind rig.

3. peas88

peas88 New Member

Thanks Robert. That is the sort of thing that I was looking for... any problems that people have. If you look at them long enough you can usually crack them btu getting started with an issue is proving hard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.