hull curvature

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by berge06, Jan 18, 2010.

1. berge06

berge06 Junior Member

Hi

How do you determine the Hull curvature?

Are there any rules?

Are there any standards used for different types of ships?

berge06

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

There are no standards, no rules. The materials and thicknesses ALLOW certain unsupported spans at given curvatures of both two and three dimensional areas.
    Also, scantlings may be heavy or light, based on intended usage (workboat, ferry, racing sailboat, peddle boat, kayak, etc.).

3. berge06

berge06 Junior Member

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you know if there is some "standard" curvatures for certain ship types and sizes?

What I realy need is some input on hull curvatures on ships up to 100 meters, ships of any kind with single hull, if there are some shortcuts to deside curvatures.

I hope you understand what I'm thinking about.

berge06

4. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Look at them on the NET.

Take your digital camera to ship yards and take pictures. Ask why they did that.

You have to learn what kind of curves react to the elements.

Ten thousand years of culture, materials, function, local conditions, deep water, big waves, small wave, river currents, and prejudice have created many millions of designs, with many tens of millions of curves.

And every one of them; the designer thought it was the best one ever, including my own.

Good luck, you are about to have the most fun of your life.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think I undersand what you want. A magic formula to save you the years of study many of us put into it. Sorry buddy, no luck.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I think I understand you are asking a question of an academic nature, the kind of question you expect is buried in some book somewhere.
    I can assure you there are no such curvature formulae. You might as well ask General Motors where they reference the curves for car bodies.
    Curves are end results more than anything else---- they are a consequence of more important variables such as material properties and larger design requirements.
    No one starts with certain curves and adjusts the design to them, in other words.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Typically the curves and shapes used in boats and ships are derived for several goals. Often in ships, the goal is efficient operation underway (fuel savings), while carrying the biggest load it can. In pleasure craft two general themes emerge, efficient shapes to get through the water will little fuss and those shapes that permit the boat to create a dynamic interaction between the water flow and the hull.

The ultimate choices a designer employs will be governed by dozens of design criteria. As mentioned, there are a set of magic curves for specific designs, but there are many commonalities among similar designs.

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

somebody else wanting us to do his Phd for him......

9. berge06

berge06 Junior Member

Hi

The reason i ask is that we (me and some school mates) are working on a project, and we are working on a washing rig for a ROV for washing hulls. The current setup is not flexible enough and we have compleated a new design wich is very flexible

I asked those questions just to get some Idea of how much flexibility is needed.

It's not a problem to wash big boats and, flat bottom, but small boat around 100 meters especially around what we call the bulb.

visit www.CleanHull.no for some info on the current setup.

Thank you for your quick answer.

berge06

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Look at photos of a sheltered water ferry, a fishing trawler and a power yacht. That will give you a fair idea of the variety of shapes.

11. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well what you and your school mates learn its that a full explanation of what you are doing and why gets better results/answers and if you put your location in rather than Home we would not think you were another Indian working on a bazaar PHD ( Bazaar as in market where you can buy anything )
    Good luck looks interesting ....

12. berge06

berge06 Junior Member

Hi

Thanks again for the quick answers.

Our location is the west coast of Norway.

berge06

13. berge06

berge06 Junior Member

hi

Do you guys know of a source of learning how to read drawing Docking plans to find hull curvature, if this is possible.

I need a way to find a radius or referencepoint so i can compare this point from different drawings and make up some idea of how much betther our new design is.

thanks in advance

berge06

14. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Can't you just look at some typical lines drawings and measure the minimum radius? [​IMG]

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There's no short cut to understanding what the lines mean Berge06. You either take a course or start building a collection of yacht design books that you've studied. Without the design understanding, you will have no idea if your design is any better or worse than any other.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.