Hull Conversion

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ETEE, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ETEE

ETEE Junior Member

With the sheer number of Project Sailboats available(at close to giveaway prices), I have wondered how equitably a full keel Cutter or Ketch could be converted to a cruising capable Trawler? I'm aware of having to lose some of the ballast and redesign of the topsides and cabin space, and increase the fuel and water capacities aboard, but is there any other downside to this conversion?

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

No, not in my opinion. The large keel will make you a little bit slower, but not very much. Maybe you should keep a small rig, make it a "motor-sailer"?
    If you remove the rig and keep too much of the ballast you will have too much stability, resulting in unpleasant movements. A small rig will stop the rolling.

3. ETEE

ETEE Junior Member

I will definitely be keeping a "small rig" for a backup in the event of engine loss and also a boom for loading supplies, boat, etc. Considering a vessel of 38 to 44 feet LOA (without bowsprit)what brands of sailboats would best fit the parameters of such a conversion???

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Many swedish "motor-sailors" are allready what you want, I think :)
    But you are looking for "stranded prokects" at very low prices?

5. ETEE

ETEE Junior Member

There are large numbers of Sailboats in the SouthEastern U.S. that have been reduced to Hulls over the past few years by the hurricanes. Many will never be returned to Sail, due to the cost of re-masting, sails and rigging in relation to their repaired value. Sailing appears to have lost favor in America, if the numbers I see are correct.

On the other hand, Trawler Yachts are in high demand, with their prices staying above their original sales price in the 70's, 80's and 90's.(except the "woodies" that weren't taken well care of)

It, therefore, makes financial sense to me (35 years in the Marine Industry, retired Chief Engineer, U.S.Merchant Marine, former Shipyard Mechanical Supervisor, currently, Engineering Firm Designer, Surveyor, etc) to utilize one of these hulls, converted to a Passagemaker, in my retirement.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not sure what "numbers" your picking up, but most boats damaged by hurricanes get fixed or sold. This isn't something that just started happening here, but has been our way of life. Sailing has taken a back seat to power boating for several decades and isn't very surprising, though the numbers haven't changed much in a while. The average boat in this country is under 20' and outboard powered. Powered craft out number sail 10 to 1 and have for some time.

The derelicts (every yard has one or more) usually aren't the result of storm damage, but owner neglect. These boats get sold, cut up for parts or dragged to the land fill, if left uninsured for very long.

There are a number of workable projects that I know of. I make a habit of checking the coasts each season for projects or boats in distress. Very rare is the craft that can be a money maker, most requiring complete refitting and this is on an old hull, which may be nearing the end of it's useful life anyway.

This isn't to say it can't be done. It surly can, but much investment in a long search of many miles and boat yards will be in order. Of 100 boats in the size range you're interested, maybe one possibly two will be worthy of refit, let alone a full out conversion to a different style of yacht.

I have a data base of many of these yachts (Florida and south Georgia) some on my wish list, some in hopes it will be saved, but beyond my scale and others that deserve it because they are worthwhile craft of some pedigree or just to my liking.

Power craft have been served up the same damage as the sailboat inventory here and there are 90% more of them. You may be better served, finding a bashed up powerboat in need of repowering, then converting a sailboat.

I'm not the only person with such a data base. I'm part of a network of yards and individuals that keep a eye on certain type, styles, sizes and era yachts. Typically we concentrate on the classics, but all of use have our own ideas of classic or worthwhile craft to save.

With your skills you'd be more likely to pull off a feat like this than most, as it's difficult task. If you'd like, email what your needs are and I can see what's available or will be in the event of another hard season's end.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.