how to fiberglass and varithane wood?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brendodendo, May 12, 2005.

1. brendodendo

brendodendo Guest

This might sound silly, but in which order would I work? Do I lay the fiberglass on the wood and then varithane over the top, or should I varithane the wood first and and then lay fiberglass. I'm really confused. e-mail to bapetersen@yahoo.com.

Thanks alot
    bp

2. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

BP, Varithane is a polyurethane type varnish. It is unusual to bed fiberglass in varnish. I have done it but not for anything that was expected to last very long.
    If I may, I suspect that your question really was do I lay the fiberglass cloth and then apply the resin or do I wet the wood and then lay the cloth in the wet resin? And that answer is you can do it either way, it is a little easier to get the cloth to lay smoothly if you apply it to a dry surface but a bit more difficult to be certain that the wood is well wetted. If you have a helper then wetting the wood and laying the cloth would be my choice.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Laying glass overtop of varnish is an open invitation for delamination. Varnish and fibreglass really don't get along too well. If you want the wood look, there are clear resins you can use with the fibreglass to do this. If you want glass, paint a coat of resin on the wood (it will soak in a bit), lay the cloth, wet it out. If you want varnish, follow the manufacturer's directions. Using varnish and glass together will not work very well; it will certainly have almost no strength.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.