Hughes 26?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SpiritWolf15x, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

"Thom D, whats changed between the version you built and the new one?"

Well he doesn't call it a Tremolino Eater any more. :) It is still the basic 23 tremolino for 18 foot Hobie class, but everything else has changed. (by the way it naturally builds out to about 23'9" so I call mine a 24 in normal conversation).

I don't have the plans handi since I am at the lake, but:

- the hulls are much fatter looking and more modern.

- The bows are squarer, though I squared mine off a little when I made it.

- When I got the plans the CM jig used for the 23 was the same jig used for the larger boats so the narrower panels were bent up to a larger more CC like radius, I brought this to Kurt's attention and it has it's own J shaped form allowing a fatter flatter shape to the boat, more high PC.

- The form has longi curvature also, rather than the flat run it had

- The new amas are even longer, almost the length of the whole boat, this is good because amas are always getting bigger, and most importantly because it makes it possible for the aft beam to be at the rear of the cockpit, not the center of it, only downside is the amas will be heavier for set-up. If I had it to do again I would make the amas out of 3mm ply rather than 4, not sure what the current plan allows.

- Beam is to aft end of cockpit

- New rudder system with quadrant, looks more complicated but should be an improved look etc... And all the hardware for the rudder is now home buildable out of composites. I have some huge bronze piece on min and I have noted other builder did the same thing in whatever metal, this is lighter and cheaper, and I wouldn't have had to order it from another country and pay shipping and duty.

- Bowsprit/sail plan would reflect this change

- Hobie sails are currently larger

- Chainplates are beefier which looks better

- I think he gave the foils a better plan though the basic foils are easier to build and work great

- Main hull has a lot more volume within the CM envelope, which was sorely needed, if one can actually get that in the building.

- There are a bunch of upgrades he has been effecting for a while now. I built my whole boat out of doorskins, but the current recomendation is all 1088, there are a rew more stringers, cored decks are throughout now and are the only recomendation for some flat panels, etc...

- I don't remember details, but the deck plan seemed to be more practical than on the old one. After all one really doesn't need a lot of sail handling gear on a boat this small, a pal said I wouldn;t need my winch handle and I mainly use it for raising the mast.

- There is a sheet for people who want to build it as a slip option. I was impressed it looks like it would work.

I am probably leaving a lot out, since every line had been pretty much redrawn, I was very impressed.

(I can only assume the 26 has all these changes as appropriate)

OH, NO CHANGE TO THE DAGGERBOARD SLOT HEIGHT!! :)

I built my boat about 20 years ago, and since then there is hardly a new picture of a new boat anywhere including in his catalog (probably less true at the larger vessel end of the spectrum). Like the last 20 years didn't happen. And his prices are way up, seeming to indicate he is able to sell a lot of these plans, but I just don't see the boats or the builds on the internet. So I wanted to mention how fabulous these boats are today, how much improved since it isn't something I have found on the net. When I unfolded the plans it was a real surprise. I knew he could do it but didn't know it had been done.

2. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Jason and Jamez, thanks for th photos!

3. jamez

jamez Senior Member

You're welcome, thanks for the info.

I've found a few more pics I took on a windward/leeward race day last year. The boat in the pics is also approx 24'loa and as you can see has the long floats. Kurt has been updating the 26' version for a while now, I see some fresh views and a couple of new photos on his web site too. http://www.multihulldesigns.com/designs_stock/26tri.html

These are great boats. I gave the 26 some serious consideration when shopping around for designs.

Attached Files:

4. captainsideburn

captainsideburn Junior Member

is it still plywood?

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Yes it is.

6. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

The 26 with beams is nice!

I just went through the whole launch cycle on my boat, 3 days. At one point I said to my wife while "sliding" a cast iron screw jack under the trailer for stability while mast raising on the beach, that that step alone was more work than I wanted to go through.

Anyway, she is in the water! Which is a sure indication that we are in for 3 days of gale force winds, just to test out my new mooring on a flat bottomed rocky lake in the wilderness theory. So she starts to pump water up the DB slot, but I have a new thing for that, and not much water gets in! Still, there has to be some green energy angle on this waterworks thing.

I did yield to reason, and led the bridle forward to the bows of the amas via bungies around the bows. Worked great, so all I need now is some cleats, which I won't access for another year. Now the boat doesn't hang sideways in the gale force winds as she used to.

7. caiman

caiman Junior Member

Hi
    Kicking and screaming I am dragging myself into the 20 th. centuary, to whit-
    I've managed to put some video's of Caiman on 'You Tube'.Hopefully more to follow.Unfortunatly my new found elerctronic brilliance does not stretch as far as getting the videos into the trimaran section,and so, search 888Caiman.I apologise for the wind noise,both meteriogical and vocal.
    Cheers

8. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Nice video

Thanks for posting the video, keep them coming. B

9. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Great coverage there. I like those videos. Did you consider using Kurt Hughes in the description, or whatever, to get some hits from people looking for info on his boats?

Why is the dolphin zipping back and forth so fast? He isn't getting hydro off all those hulls or that speed. He went under the hull that is mostly airborne. We don't get those inland...

Also, what all lines go to your central stop block? About the only one I identified is the main halyard. I am beyond KISS. I remarked to my wife today while sailing along with a squall cloud, that it would, be an increase in our tech level if we had belay pins. I'm a rock climber from the 70s, so I don't feel bad at all about everything being tied to a crossbeam. :)

10. caiman

caiman Junior Member

I don't know why the Dolphin was doing what it was doing,but it seemed to be enjoying it !There was a school of about 12 odd that came racing over towards us.When first spotted ,they where about 1/4 mile away.Only 2 seemed to come and play,the rest of them kept station about 50 foot ahead.I will add another vid of them.You are missing out inland.Dolphins are a common sight in Cardigan Bay.
    There is a rope clutch behind the mast that looks after 2 halyards on the front of the mast,1 at the mast head for the spinniker,(there is a bow sprit to fly the spinniker from,I will play with the spinniker when I get a bit more proficient)and 1 below the hounds for, I presume ,a smaller jib,although there is nowhere to attatch the sail foot.The other 1 is a spare main halyard.I have run light lines from the deck to the halyards and pulled them through so that they are protected from U/V.The in use main halyard exits the mast on the port side.I have added a small winch mounted on a plate bolted to the mast to tend the main halyard.Apart from occasionaly fouling the jib sheet,this has been a great addition for raising the main.I only use the winch handle to wind the last bit up and to tension the luff..The halyard is secured by a clutch mounted on the mast.When I get around to moving the cleats for the lazy jacks,I will be able to reef without leaving the cockpit.
    I have tried putting Kurt Hughes name in the You Tube description,I've tried everything,trimaran,multihull,Kurt Hughes,Cardigan Bay.......it was only by chance that I searched myself,888Caiman,that I found the vids.
    I would like Kurt Hughes to get good publicity/coverage etc.I am getting a lot of enjoyment from this boat and I would certainly reccomend one.If building one myself ,I would change a couple of things around to suit my (percieved) requirements.This is my first trimaran and I have a lot to learn,I have picked up loads from this forum though.In 2 seasons I have covered approx 500 miles on Caiman,all single handed.I have 2 weeks off in September and hopefully will be off on another 'jaunt'.
    Is there a way that I can get a 'Portsmouth Yardstick' for this boat?I think I have traced a 'MOCRA' number,can I convert this to the PY system?The racing here is very 'loose',but it would be nice to join in to show support for the yacht club.
    Cheers

11. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Thanks, I look forward to more dolphins.

I don't know about the ratings, I don't race. Or at least have never raced on a tri. Almost all my sailing has been on a tri or cat, but have done about 3 wednesday races on a mono. Mr Experience here! Kurt ought to know, he has had a lot to do with that size of boat, and he is mostly into racing from what I have observed.

12. TrifleII

TrifleII New Member

Khsd D 30

For those of you looking for KHSD photos here are a cross section of my D-30 based in the UK. Great boat especially in a breeze, but I have had serious problems with the deck core becoming waterlogged due to water ingress. She will shortly be for sale.

Attached Files:

13. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Only core problem I had was the rear deck where I got started on an access plate and then was sick for a while and didn't get back to it for several years. This caused problems up the side of the boat as well. I just ripped it all out and replaced anything bad. But the main deck would be a bigger project for sure. I was able to park mine in my garage for a while to be sure everything was dried out.

14. caiman

caiman Junior Member

I too had water problems with the balsa core underneath the mast foot,and nearly lost the mast through it last year.There was an old repair at the site and so the water had been leaking in for some time.The mast pylon bent after the core eventually gave way.I have a video that shows water puddling on the deck.I took the shot before I realised that there was any problem,it was only when I noticed that the mast was 'pumping' that I realised there was a problem.Dropped the main and sailed home under jib-carefully.Fixed the deckhead and made a new pylon during the Winter and now back sailing.I think balsa core might not be the way to go despite its advantages.
    TrifleII,whereabouts are you based in the UK?Do you have any more pics?How much do you want for the boat?
    Cheers

15. TrifleII

TrifleII New Member

TrifleII

Caiman - the boat is currently at Saxon Wharf in Southampton. I have many photos of various stages of completion/rebuild. I have no price in mind yet and will listen to any serious offer. I have about 2 weeks work to do before I put her on the market.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.