Huevo_12_Foot_Passage_Maker

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kvsgkvng, Feb 26, 2012.

?

WHat do you think about this boat?

1. Will this boat float?

80.0%
  2. Will this boat be a fine fishing boat on a lake?

20.0%
  3. Will this boat accommodate a husband and wife?

20.0%
  4. Will this boat be able to sail in protected and coastal waters?

60.0%
  5. Will this boat make trans-Atlantic journey?

20.0%
  6. Will this boat travel around the world?

20.0%
  7. Will this boat have enough capacity for all provisions?

40.0%
  8. Do you like this boat?

60.0%
  9. Would you add any constructive comments?

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

OK, one more try. You will find the keel and its ballast to be a hindrance on coastal cruising in such a small boat. Why accept the disadvantages of a larger boat if it's not necessary? Take a look at John Welsford's Scamp and Matt Layden's Paradox. Both of these boats are designed by very good designers from practical experience in doing what you want to do. Both are very seaworthy and capable of crossing the waters found in coastal cruising itineraries. They are quite different which shows that, as long as the primary goal is kept in view, details may vary a lot. Both have very simple sail rigs that are adaptable for the conditions you would likely meet.

It's obvious that you want to experience the designing process and good for you. Your little boat is unnecessarily complex for the task and tweaking it here and there in response to comments found here on the forum is not going to make it an ideal vessel like the two I mention. By ideal, I don't mean perfect for everybody but ideal for the intended use and the intended builder. By studying these boats and the philosophy behind each you will develop the background needed to get started on the right track for your boat.

2. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Thank you very much

You absolutely right, I was just fascinated with the looks. After doing some reading, it is maybe an overkill.

Again you have a point. I just like the design and creation process.

At present I am reading through "Basic Ship Theory" Vol. 1 & 2 2001 by Rawson, and "Principles of Yacht Design" 2ed 2000 Larsson Eliasson. As I have engineering background a lot of the stuff is very familiar. The rest will take some time.

Looking back, the boat did look like a mad man's expedition vessel. I thought that if the boat would be able to withstand extreme conditions, the flat water would be easy.

I post here the latest picture. I do not expect any comments. Thank you all good people in your earnest expression of friendliness, however it was delivered.

Regards.

Attached Files:

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

My take is that safety in the coastal cruiser has more to do with handiness than hardiness.

I want a vessel which can keep driving against a bit of chop, has some speed to make way against a current and into the anchorage when racing the fading light. She should be able close to the wind, and carry sail which can meet the variable and often light conditions.
    Some comfort?
    A cockpit which at minimum allows one to stretch out and enjoy the days sail and the anchorage found at its close.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Now that you have gone to a more practical 18' in LOA, take a look at another boat in that size. www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/bel.html
    This is an able small cruiser with a proven and very workable sail compliment. Far simpler and undoubtedly better than the one you show which reflects the many years the designer spent in learning what works and what is window dressing. Note the novel and very workable solution to placement of the centerboard/keel that takes up no room in the cabin. Also note that there is a full transom stern for needed bearing aft with people in the cockpit of such a small boat. A small outboard is easier to mount and interior as well as exterior room is greater. While there is much armchair attention paid to a double ender or pointed stern, note that there are not very many actually out there. Most of the attention paid to the pointed stern is urban legend.

Moving about on the foredeck of your boat might be an exercise in some conditions or even at the dock.

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Tom, that is a nifty little boat. It's got a cabin hatch to keep water out. My only concern is the ergonommics. The humans don't seem to be scaled up properly LOL. Who be that little one in the corner?

[​IMG]

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/bel.htm

6. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

That is a Liliputian baby that went to sleep there unnoticed. The Belhaven is an exceptionally roomy and able little boat for coastal and lake cruising.

7. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

The only thing I say is thanks again.

Thank you for the advice. I certainly do like this boat. It looks just practical and simple. I do love the sail arrangement.

Like a copy-cat I keep everything in my mind. I am sorry, I just looked at that boat again, and despite all the simplicity, practicality, great parameters and ease of building, I would not build it. My apologies for being rude.

Perhaps it is a tough road, but at this point I'd rather burn my wax wings then live out other's dreams.

8. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

No problem with that. I am not trying to sell you on any particular boat. What I am trying to do is get you to look at the features of these boats that make them successful small sailboat cruisers. Each one satisfies the essential needs of a coastal cruising boat, accepting the limitations imposed by the size of each one.

Since you are an engineer, you know that making a list, SOR in this parlance, of all the desires and requirements at the start of any original design project is the essential first step. I suggest that you stop tweaking this little boat and go back to that list and work on it to see what is incompatible with other things on the list and order the items in importance before going back to drawing lines. Things like the size, weight, displacement and accommodations should be known before any lines are drawn. Since this is so much a personal matter, do this first step in your head with pencil, paper and hand calculator and stay away from the regimentation of a computer until you can see the boat that satisfies you.

One other thing, Being a copycat is not the issue. Unless you are a true genius, capable of creating radically new work, you will need to stand on the shoulders of all the boat designers of the past and present in order to create anything of value.

1 person likes this.
  9. die_dunkelheit

die_dunkelheit NA Student

That is probably the best advice anyone has given you yet (with the idea of you designing & building your own boat paramount).

10. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

There is something I am missing as many people are suggesting

Thank you, Sir. I hope with my replies I do not make you turn your back on me.

As I was going through the motions in my mind about "the perfect" boat for me, I looked at many pictures, digested them, tried to analyze causes and means, and in general, my mind was going through the motions of "what if."

In this process, simple questions with simple answers where brushed away as not deserving any attention because if the subject would withstand more severe conditions, the lesser threats should just go away by default.

Anyway, the parameters of my personal convenience are not an issue. Many people are rightfully concerned where I would crap. This is completely legit. I just hope that my night pot would not be thrown about the cabin... At worst, I would have plenty of water around to clean up the mess; or shall I research and purchase a larger plastic bin?

One of the conditions what I would want to see through would be that the exterior and the interior of my vessel would be pressure water washable. I am a lazy ******* and hate chores. It also makes me winch of mildew next to the place where I drop dead to have a four hour sleep after watching the compass for 20 hours.

All of my boat would have hermetically closing closets with neoprene gaskets. I think those locked cabinets would serve as cabinets, of course, and the bulkheads providing flotation in case of the hull breach.

So, the final frontier of my boat is not about the quality of life aboard and ease of building. It is about the statement " I did it myself!" (the spirit of Indiana Jones must help me)

Main questions which I try to address revolve around the hypothetical quest to cross oceans with those huge waves, stubborn currents, wind blowing in the wrong directions, burning sun and freezing water and maybe some inconvenience of private life along with water and food shortage.

If my boat would be able to hold on to those parameters, I care less if the boat would eventually smell of mildew with closed companionway (isn't the "door" is easier to type and pronounce?) Pressure washing should solve cleaning problems. Then I should enjoy the distant shores!
    After that, when at the destination, after the boat has crossed the oceans, small things could fall in its places.

If the boats which I composed in the picture below were able to cross oceans, my argument is that regardless of this and that, the most important things for any boat to my taste are (please do pardon my ignorance and typos):

1. Float at all costs, regardless of circumstances
    1. Float and keep on doing it
    1. Keep the crew possibly dry and safe
    1. Be able to head to the destination point or to the nearest rescue errand
    1. Do it within reasonable time and expended efforts
    1. Withstand elements of the open water:
    (b) waves
    (b) capsizing
    (b) waves rolling over the boat
    (b) currents
    (b) severe wind and absence of it
    (b) waves
    (b) corrosive environment (eh... if you last that long)
    (b) sustainable renewal of expendable consumables (nice one for corporate reports!)
    (b) lightning
    (b) abrupt weather and wind changes
    (b) waves
    (c) waves
    1. Be nice thing to look at (that is where your subliminal mind goes to work 100%)
    1. Be safe in calm conditions within visual distance of Portofino (piece of cake after the open waters)

Perhaps I overlooked some difficult aspects of a generic long distance "passage." I would be most appreciative if someone would add those issues I missed.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

P.S. Does anyone has an idea where I might secure the help of a sustainable sponsor? ;)

Attached Files:

11. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

I hope you are giving the dangers of toxic mold and mildew their due. Adequate ventilation will be difficult but necessary. Trying to treat a fungal infection offshore living in a petri dish is no fun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.