Coral Princess capsize

Discussion in 'Stability' started by michael pierzga, Nov 24, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

I live in the area and have been watching the TV coverage. The inlet in question is extremely dangerous in any conditions above 3-5ft. There is a bar and a reef and shoaling to deal with and the wave patterns can be very challenging. There is also a dredge which I doubt was an issue as its well in from the break. This inlet is at or near the top of the list for inlets with groundings or capsizes.

Here's a cam link:

http://www.hillsborolighthouse.org/wc.html

Steve

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

4. portsmouthmarin

portsmouthmarin Previous Member

Been through that inlet a few times. You sure need to be careful. Shallows, breakers, constantly shifting channel and channel markers. You could get into a lot of trouble quickly there and many have.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

[​IMG]

I took this photo in April of 2000. Hillsboro Inlet light on a nice day. Note the wind in the trees. When I took this the inlet was really kicking up. I have never used this inlet but if that is the normal condition then I would hate to be there on a bad day!

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Well, if you look at the live feed (KeysD gave it above), they have 20+ kts this morning (7 AM?). I was thinking along your lines. Is it always that windy? Or, is this just coincidence?