Design of a boat with composite hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by conceptia, Nov 25, 2009.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Guys,
    It is the first time I'm working on the design of a 12 m vessel with composite hull. Could you please guide me a book which I could refer. Also please enlighten me on the sandwich construction.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sandwich is similar to an I beam. The outside is in tension or compression and the center in compression or shear load. This allows for a lighter and weaker core than the skins.

3. conceptia

will you insist me on going with that, or do you have any other alternative...?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

First you need to establish the parameters of the boat. For example: regulations to comply with if any, type of use, sea conditions during use, range expected (distance without refueling), amount of passengers, accomodations, Budget, etc. Then you can start deciding on materials and other things.

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Gonzo i think you are wasting your time - we see these guys all the time. Working on projects way over their heads (200ft barge, mine sweeper, big passenger vessels) and asking for a book ro quick answer on how to design such boat.

My favorite was the one who wasn't sure if he should draw the side view 1st or not...

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I suppose so. Anyone that can't be happy with gold and girls needs his head examined.

7. conceptia

that was good line gonzo.. I had already done with my Lines design, but as I'm new with composite structures I wanted to gather some info from the pros. To help or not is upto you, but to expect you to clear it for me is the hope...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.