How to trace and cut bulkheads

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ath, Jun 1, 2005.

1. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Ath,
    No harm in building a rigid template, you might as well find out if you'll be able to get the new bulkhead into the boat......

Yokebutt.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

There may be a way to check for delam, I just dont know it. I have a moisture meter so I can check and see if it has water in the core. That helps. It lets you know the extent of the leakage, and how big a job you will have. If the pulpit areas where leaking, I would do some exploreing just to check for damage. A 1/4 drill bit and a flashlight and a small coat hanger is all u need. drill a spot a few inches from the questioned area. look and see if there is obvious damage with the light. see if the color of the core is black or moldy. then get the hanger, bend it in a small L and stick it in and see if it feels soft. or just try and stick it in at an angle and see if there is mush around the hole. a few small holes can be puttied over so thats not that big of a deal. Haveing a crack develope later is a big deal though.
    I learned about fixing everything on my merit 25. I took the deck off, recored it...it was stiff. The main bulkhead was wet, but I figured I could get some time out of it before I repaired it. Well since the rest of the boat was now stiff and solid. the main bulkhead decided it wanted to be the new wealest link. Would have been easier while I had the deck off. Oh well lifes little learneing lessons.

and yes I have some new pics , just havent posted them yet...

3. ath

ath Junior Member

It only gets worse.

I expected to find the ply rotted out. And I knew there were termites. But I didn't know that the damage from termites was as extensive as it is (see photos). I found a nest of them towards the mast support. Plump. Happily eating my boat. They've begun to eat into the mast/beam support which is also ply. Going to drop the mast today so that I can start to remove this piece too. I have a structural question about this so I'm going to start a new thread...time to fumigate.

Attached Files:

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Ath,

How to trace the shape of a bulkhead has been discussed before. I'll try to find these posts and put 'em in this thread.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.