How to tell difference between PVC and Hypalon?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by cymeryss, Sep 30, 2006.

1. cymeryss

cymeryss New Member

This is my first post and may not be fully on the the right topic but I am in the process of buying a 1990 Zodiac Mark III Grand Raid and was wondering how to tell what material it is made from. So far I have gathered the following:
    1. PVC is rougher than Hypalon (its very smooth)
    2. PVC is shiny on the bonds because it is welded (thermo-bonded)
    3. Hypalon has just one overlap with glue sometimes brown from UV or lifting off at various spots.

It seems like this is still not enough info to truly tell 100% one from the other since some of there 'symptoms' are not so obvious. Any help in determining which one it is would be helpfull. Thanks.

2. Sealion

Sealion Glue Sniffer

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

There is a siginificant difference between PVC and HYPALON. I have had a Grand Raid myself some many years ago.
    PVC = Polyvinylchloride is used to make cheap floating vessels and can never compete in quality with Neoprene fabrics as Hypalon (DuPont Trademark).
    Hypalon is highly resistant against UV radiation and also resitant against chemicals as well as high temperatures.
    It was late Cmdr. Jaques Cousteau - one of the original inventors of the inflatable - who started to use this material/fabric for the production of his designs.
    To compare PVC with HYPALON is one thing one shouldn't do.

Then: The Grand Raid Mk III is a good boat. I have fine memories of many fishing tours and saving floating furniture from the sea when a storm had tampered with the beach-places that were lined up along the strand of our village.

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

How does polyurethane fabric stack up?

Link:
    http://www.wing.com/polyurethane.htm

Quote:

5. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.