fiberglass layup schedual advice for 15ft beach cat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by boatymcboatface, May 2, 2016.

1. boatymcboatface

boatymcboatface Junior Member

hello I have a question I was wondering about regarding a layup schedual for a 15ft beach cat mould that I bought recently

I have no experience building boats and very little fiberglass experience other then doing some structural repairs on my old beach cat and sheathing it with darnel and epoxy. but after all that work it was still not the cat I was happy with having been to far gone to be worth repairing but not knowing enough at that time to accept that it was a right off in the first place.

I was actually looking for some decent second hand hulls to use my sails and rigging on when I come across these moulds and thought "hey i'll just make some myself" thinking they'll be new and last a long time with peace of mind that there safe and structurally sound.

after talking to the original owner who also desgined the hulls for some 3 hrs about the construction methods and so forth I am concerened about the layup schedule because he used it as a lake boat on flat waters and low to moderate winds. I plan to use this boat in the saltwater of Morton bay which experances short sharp chop. even on a nice day you go out in pristine conditions and it can go to bad in a moments notice, well not that quick but you get the idea.

the original schedual was 2 layers of 225grm csm then a core material then 1 or maybe 2 more layers of 225csm. as for the core he said he used a green foam thickness unkown because he couldn't quiet remember from when he built and desgined it back in 95. the shape it self is dam hot it looks fast standing still unfortunantly I don't have any pictures of it but I do have one of the mould just not sure how to add it to my thread.

so back to the original question for blue water sailing is say 4x 225gm with a core inbetween say 10mm thick sufficient, I have clocked this in at 3kg/m2 with resin but for the same weight I can also build it out of 1 layer of d/bias with mat attached 708grm then core then 1 layer of biax with mat attached 519grm, making 1220grm +1.8kg resin to match the 3kg/m2 of the original build but contains 300grm more fiber then original layup? does this sound right to any one or even make sense??? please help

I have roughly calculated that for a total build weight of 40 kg/45kg per hull aiming for a total build absolute max weight of about 110kg rigged. I want more a strong stable sailer don't ever plan to compete so am willing to sacrifice some extra weight for strength. there will be 5 boards as stringers(going across internally to brace the sides sorry about the bad terminology) in the internal hull but I might make it 6 or possibly 7 if need be weight permiting. I will also be doing a hand lay up planning to use polyester due to being a cheaper cost but am considering vinylester.

I will be attempting to vacume bag the centerboard halfs and rudder halfs because they are a magable size to do so and don't mind buying a few specialized tools to complete this project but am interested to know is air vacume bags like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111633712463?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT are possible to use once I change the valve over to accept a proper vacume pump fitting, they just look to easy having a zip lock and being cheap enough to consider sacrafical after use. any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

2. compo

compo Previous Member

hi

did you ever get sorted with your beach cat idea ??:idea: