why my boat delaminated ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hyboats, Dec 6, 2012.

1. hyboats

hyboats Junior Member

it only five years old.
    bad quality resin ? or not press heavily when laminated the boat hull ?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I think it was because you hit a pier at 40 knots

There is no information included to base a conclusion on, pics and a description would help a great deal.

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Bruce, could be a number of things............. maybe a load exerted beyond it's capacity of structural competence! Jeff.

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Need more information !! like sone (lots) detailed close up pictures. To get a reasonable understanding of any problems of fibre glAss problems you have to get in up close and get as much detail as you can .

I remember one guy complaining about delamination on one hull the company had and upon some reall close inspection there was stll wood embedded in the damaged glass!! .

Need pictures

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

For glass to delaminate its got to have hit something or had some really rough treatment . dosent mater what kind of resin is used glass doesent fall apart without a really good reason !!.
    Solid glass is really hard to make delaminate , but if it is solid glass ,what was the actual lay up ??
    Glass with a core ?? what kind of core ??foam of balsa and what glass each side and how was it stuck down ??
    Core matt very possible !! it really is a worry that stuff !!i hope you didnt use in in the hull bottom !! Top side are bad enough!! but need pictures of the boat and the location and how big an area , hull and where abouts !!:(

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Pictures !!

Well did you solve the delamination problem ??
    When you have problems pictures can show instantly in 99% of cases what you got and more that you might miss with your written discription !!!!.:?::idea::D

7. jonr

jonr Senior Member

> glass doesent fall apart without a really good reason

I've had two good quality small sailboats delaminate in areas, probably caused by sitting outside with moisture in the hull and many freeze/thaw cycles.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

That should make no differance it has to have moister in between the glass for that to happen .
    I have made eqiupment used on top of mountain and has been in operation for 8 years or more and has never had problems . Summer Is hot and winter is snow and and freezing wind to minus -35c or less !!
    is holding satelite equipment and is just marine grade polyester resin and chopped strand matt with a little woven roving !!, its painted with white sanitary ware gelcoat :eek:.

9. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I agree, the difference is probably the amount of moisture inside and the foam layer in the sailboats. Only thing I've seen delaminate solid glass was rough treatment or osmosis.