Racing Canoe plans?

Discussion in 'Software' started by EastMR2, Jul 13, 2011.

1. EastMR2

EastMR2 New Member

I have been thinking about trying to build a racing canoe for a race a Friend and I plan on doing next year.

I found this post that had some good designs, but the sizes didn't really fit the rules of the particular race we are doing.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/design-software/racing-canoe-19110.html

I also wasn't sure how you go about turning the software boat designs into an actual boat mold (I would build it in fiberglass). Do you just print them full size, cut around the cross section lines (or what ever you call them), then cut foam or plywood to size to create the mold?

Here are the race rules for this particular race.
    1. Canoes must be of a conventional type open construction design with no coverings from front to rear and in good shape. No sculls, kayaks or Olympic type racing canoes are allowed. Canoes cannot be over 18 feet in length!!
    2. Front and rear of canoe must be higher than the middle. Canoes shall be .14375 x length, which shall equal the minimum width 4” above the keel at the canoes maximum width. Canoes must not be over 18 feet in length. Center depth shall not be less than 11 ½ “. No canoes over 18 feet in length will be allowed.
    3. Recreation class canoes must be production made canoe that weighs a minimum of 50 lbs. No weights can be added to the canoe!!

I doubt I can actually make a good boat design using the software mentioned in the link above, but I can likely build the boat if I can somehow print out full size templates and if I could find a design that fits the rules.

Does anyone have a design or know how I should go about getting one?

Also any tips on using that design to make the templates for the mold would also be helpful.

Sorry if questions are dumb I'm a newbie at this.
    Thanks,
    -Joe

2. EastMR2

EastMR2 New Member

bump?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.