how to situate 4 hobie cat pontoons for a deck boat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by d lester, Aug 23, 2013.

1. d lester

d lester New Member

i have two sets of hobie cat pontoons. one set of 18 foot and one set at 16 foot. what would be the most clever way to arrange? planning on an electric 40 lb thrust, having and 8 x 8 octagon type shape deck.

looks like the 18s can handle 500# and the 16s 400# think I can make a cedar deck at 100# and batteries and motor are 200#.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Forget the 16s.
    If you need more than 1000# flotation find a set of Tornado hulls.
    Oh my! I have some. Tried to give them away last year.
    Come get them. They are about 2000# flotation each, but you should not load them that much.

It will be easier to make a square deck than an octagon - lighter also.
    But you need to move it forward, since putting it on the two beams will make the stern squat with a motor.

3. d lester

d lester New Member

That sounds a lot better. Where are you located? I'm in Minnesota. In Minneapolis.

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Ft. Worth Texas. Just west of Dallas.
    If you are serious, I cannot wait too long.
    I had a guy keep putting me off for a year, just let me know last week he had a different plan. Now my wife is completely impatient (actually she is still really polite, but I know.....)

It would be a long trip.They are 20' hulls.
    If you look around Gary Dierking had a video of a conversion into a power boat with these hulls.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.