a replacement or two, or three for the HMS Bounty?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Squidly-Diddly, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Wasn't it pretty much THE ship used in Hollywood "age of sail" flicks?

Now that is gone, would there be market for other replicas?

Sure, there are a few others, but mostly not for Hollywood use.

I'm guessing we'll need to wait for next new big budget film, if they don't just CGI the whole works.

2. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Built for the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty - the one with Brando.
    Sad loss

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

I think ROSE is the only one left in US as a 3 masted, 18th century ship. There are others in other countries like ENDEAVOUR in Australia. There are brigs in the US like LADY WASHINGTON and a couple more, and lots of old schooners, but the ranks of square rig in our country are thinning and few seem to care about the incredible education you get in seamanship by a month or two aboard on of these ships. Someone with money, build another one please instead of car elevators and dancing horses.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The next time I get 8 figures in the checking account, with nothing better to do with it . . .

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I'm sure we'll have individuals, groups & private investors cut some planks for another big ship like this. The Johnny Depp "Pirates of the Caribbean" line of films has stirred up quite the appetite for historic wooden ships. I was down in Florida last year and found quite a few places with historic wooden boats. Their day cruises book up pretty fast.

Nothing beats the feel, smell & creeking sounds of a big wooden ship. It takes the mind back centuries to the primal Viking days of previous generations.

If I wasn't married with kids it wouldn't take much to convince me to sail off to God knows where and live like a pirate.

Argggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

Note to web master: It would be really cool to have some pirate smilies to use on this site. I've got a boat racing team with plenty of free pirate smilies use...just give me a shout & I'll send you a .zip file full of them. Some new smilies would kick things up a few notches.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Salts.ca has two and is 2/3rds of the way to funding their third tall ship.

Wonderful programs for kids.

7. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Joseph, I am not as optimistic as you, having been in the biz back in the day. Ships are huge money suckers and need a well defined mission and market share to even break even. The CG is very strict about passenger carrying vessel safety and their regulations can be difficult to satisfy, especially with an older vessel. Few traditional sailing designs would meet the modern stability requirements and so modern versions have much reduced sailing rigs and are told how much sail they can carry. Vague notions of education and romance don't pay bills. To attract the masses a ship needs to have a hook, like being a historic replica of something people recognize. The level of awareness of our maritime past among the fare-paying public is tiny. People just don't care, in general, and find the Kardashians much more interesting, than learning how our commerce and Navy used to operate, under sail.

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

SALTS has some beautiful ships, but again, they need outside funding and I doubt they can maintain the operation from income. Their design team is questionable, seeing the ROBERTS, though lovely, is seriously tender and over-hatted, so I wonder about the new ship, supposedly a brigantine or topsail schooner. The US has CG design and engineering teams that ruthlessly go over any proposed sailing passenger vessel design for stability and everything else and I don't know if Canada has an equivalent at the design phase. Being a religious group, their programs are specialized to their needs, and not for everyone.

9. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

been trying for years to build a replica of the Meermin in Hout Bay South Africa. The Meermin was a VOC ship that used to transport slaves and weapons from Madagascar, yes the Dutch did not become rich with spices and fabrics but with human trafficking and weapons of "mass destruction". Unfortunately it seems that the film industry prefers to pay twice the amount on a mock up and special effects engineers rather than on the real thing.

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

SALTS' vessels are schooners which can set a single square sail. http://www.salts.ca/site/new-ship/current-ships.html There are number of large schooners in operation on both coasts of North America and in the Great Lakes, operating both as training vessels and carrying paying passengers. Several of the large schooners are currently for sale.

11. SayGudday

SayGudday New Member

An awful loss of a ship that has been in our memories for so long. Sad day.

12. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

HMS Bounty will live on. I read there is another replica floating some place in Hong Kong (wooden planks over steel hull). What a contraption that must be...purely for show & tell and blasphemy to wooden ships built using original methods.

[​IMG]

13. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

PACIFIC GRACE sets no square canvas, but is a Gloucester fishing schooner design. PACIFIC SWIFT is a near replica early 1800s square topsail schooner and the new proposed project is a square topsail pilot schooner. PG was here at Wooden Boat Festival this year, competed in the schooner race and was notable how tender she was even under just her lowers.
    In California, LYNX, a near copy of a historic 1814 privateer, has struggled for years to stay solvent, and she is one of the prettiest topsail schooners around. Here are a couple sailing shots taken in San Francisco a few years ago, and also one of LADY WASHINGTON hauled out.
    LW visits over 50 ports per year, has a well organized shoreside support system which includes crew recruitment and training, and actually pays for herself and makes some money. She was the INTERCEPTOR in Pirates 1.
    And last is a 1/4 scale LADY WASHINGTON built for Pirates 1 to get shots they could not get with the chartered full size ship, like blowing it up.
    Build cost: about $300,000, which would build a nice little schooner....
    And the reason H'wood likes floating sets instead of the real thing is they are much cheaper, since as soon as the camera is done, they don't need it anymore.
    Here's a couple examples.
    The first is a set to simulate a ship the size of HMS VICTORY, the next is a full size set of BOUNTY, used in Pirates 2 as the ship EDINBURGH TRADER, and broken in half by a giant squid. At sea sailing footage was shot on BOUNTY and all else happened on the set.
    Last is the FLYING DUTCHMAN floating set. This cost Disney $5 million dollars and was used for about 6 weeks of filming.

Attached Files:

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

They don't have a ship named ROBERTS. They used to have the ROBERTSON II but it was sold and later sank years ago. They did not design nor build this ship. It was a Grand Banks Schooner from the east coast.

15. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

You are right. I typed before I thought and apologize. It was PACIFIC GRACE, a near replica of the R2, I watched racing off Port Townsend this year and seemed quite up on her marks, lightly ballasted and heeling right down under a reefed main, fore, and couple headsails, while the competition, ALCYONE, also a slender quite similar late historic fishing schooner replica with fore and main gaff topsails but a smaller ship, carried every stitch she could set and heeled about the same or less. A's Captain later remarked how tender PG was. Working schooners were always ballasted, at least 50 tons of salt on the way to the banks, and hopefully a hundred tons of salt fish coming back. They do not sail well when light, so have problems used as yachts or charter vessels.
    Their new craft, designed for their needs instead of copying a working vessel this time, is based on a pilot boat, which like a sailing educational ship does not carry cargo, and is being very carefully designed it seems. Best of luck to them and I look forward to visiting the building site.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.