Hi-Jacking threads

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by gonzo, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that lately there has been a high percentage of threads hi-jacked and taken over by infights between posters. This is more than it used to be in the past. If we don't change it, the forum may die as a place for serious discussions of marine issues.

2. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Right
    And all guilty !
    A solution ?

3. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

I belong to a software developer’s forum of roughly the same size as this one.

The “water cooler” and the political sections are replete with fighting and hijacking. Everything is allowed there, but the help forums are void of extraneous activities, because most forum members show restrain, but are enforced by mods if needed.

4. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

It appears to me a few fools on here know exactly what they're doing, they insert a lot of BS into the thread in a deliberate attempt to tear down and get deleted anything they don't agree with.

Global Economics was a perfect example, Mas was harmless and interesting and probably mostly right. And a few fools took offense and weren't going to be satisfied until they destroyed it. At least it wasn't deleted like they managed to do the last time.

Some fools are unwilling to listen to others opinions, and seem to devise malicious methods to have their own way with things.

1 person likes this.
  5. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Bamby,
    How do you have a Rep of 413 and 0 posts

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

All posts in the open discussion forum. We currently tally post count from the main forums but not open discussion or forum questions and suggestions.

Agree that threads have been wandering a bit far in recent times; it might be the twitter/facebook chat style colliding with the idea of a traditional forum where threads are focused by topic. Possibly we need some hybrid where chats between smaller groups can start from threads but not disrupt the thread at hand. Until then, I'll try and split off some of the bigger "tangents" when I see them.

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I agree mate we had a bit of fun with the BS thread and then it turned into something else - completely unnecessary.

8. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I doubt that we can really control some threads in the Open Discussion Forum,
    but the more formal (e.g. design forums) could do with tightening up.
    I tend to drivel on those forums, so I'll consider myself as being "told".

Leo.

9. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Sad to say, it's human nature... and it's getting worse, in general, not better.

IMHO

-Tom

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am guilty of it too. This is an attempt at encouraging members to stay on topic or start a new thread.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

:eek: :cool: Guilty as well.

12. Zed

Zed Senior Member

On some forums the OP has limited moderation rights to that thread, maybe that is something to consider. Sometimes the whole point of a thread is a meandering discussion, sometimes a tighter focus is desired... impossible for a mod to decide really but the OP can easily keep things on the rails! To radical? I think it would sort itself out quite well over time...

JMO

13. hoytedow

Meandering can be valuable as it improves topsoil, but current topic should always return to the proper channel.

14. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

This is still the best forum group that I know; others vary from moribund to active but toxic, but I agree with you. The thing that really hurts is when the pressure of stupidity squeezes valuable folk out and they quit. I am trying to persuade one of our most useful and knowledgeable members from doing that right now.

Here are my suggestions:

#1 the ignore facility is our most valuable weapon so make it visible - give it a button

#2 every time someone goes on an ignore list, let them know. Maybe under the rep we can have “ignored by nn members”

1 person likes this.
  15. hoytedow

We already lost dskira. Let us not lose any more.

ancient kayaker's idea is a good one.

< Missinginaction apologies for a posting | How to Remove old Posting >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.