Ideas/opinions 45-50 Aluminum fast trawler

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by migolito, Mar 17, 2010.

1. migolito

migolito New Member

Hello all,
    I've been lurking for a while and decided to jump in. I've had boats all my life. Some were wood, some were glass, the last one was a 26' catamaran cruiser. In two short years I'm retiring. My plan is to cruise/explore during the summers-wife's still working, with a run from the west coast to the east coast via the canal. I'm looking for some advice/opinions on the boat I'll be building/will have built. Here's some loose parameters. Since most of my cruising will be coastal, and for weeks at a time, I'm thinkin fast trawler-15-20 knts. Two staterooms (guests) large back deck for lounging and diving, aluminum hull and small enough to single hand, and stable. I've looked at the Kasten Marine designs-and love em (the guys genious), however, they're just too slow-10-12 knts at most.

My idea is to have the Hull built, engine fitted and I'll do the rest.

Ideas of existing designs would be great.

Mike

2. welderbob

welderbob Junior Member

Look at Norvelle Boats, there up in Oregon . They just launched a 42' that might fit your needs. Looks like they do some very nice finish work. The boat was designed by Bill Lincoln @Response Marine

Welderbob

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

At the stated 15-20 knots you cannot carry enough fuel to get very far unless the boat gets rather large. Your typical 40' will require 500-600HP and a typical 50' will require 1000HP. Yes, you can carry extra fuel in temporary additional tanks, you will also need to slow down on longer legs.

Running in the open ocean at 17 knots in a typical 40' fast trawler that's light enough to do 20 knots will be rather uncomfortable. Few realize this until they get out there and slow down to 12 or so....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.