Yanmar LH 240 vs. Cummins 6BTA

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by JosephT, Nov 4, 2010.

1. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I am in the process of buying a boat for a friend (twin diesel). I would like some feedback on which of the engines above runs quieter. My initial search shows the Cummins is more noisy/louder, but would like others input.

This is considering all things equal (sound proofing). If both engines were on a test stand and running, which is the quietest?

Thanks,

Joseph

2. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

I recently bought a Brand spanking New Shamrock 246 with a Yanmar 240 in it.

Also have the Cummins 5.9H0 350 HP in my Dodge pickup truck

The boat only has maybe 10 hours on it so I can give a lot of info but sofar.

It is very good on fuel.
    Fairly Quite
    Not too fast but not too slow 34kts cruise
    starts right up.
    takes the same oil filter as the Cummins Yea!
    takes a wierd *** hard to find Racor water seperator fuel filter. Booo.
    easy to winterise.
    It does not idel down slow enough for Stripd Bass Trolling: So Im going to add a coule electric trolling motors to the stern.

Ill tell you more when I splash it in the springtime for someApril Cod Fishing.

If I had a brand new boat I would go for the Cummins 5.9 just to keep everything uniform and it would be faster, although maybe at the cost of fuel consumption. bet it could turn 50 kts.

That and the fact that Cummins is Made in America which just naturally makes it Better than a forgien product.

I would imagine it would not Troll slow either

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Joseph

The Yanmar runs quieter / smoother.

one could paint it with stars and stripes to make it a acceptable choice for wicked ******, though.

Regards
    Richard

4. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

[​IMG]

We just can't help it if American Products are Designed and Built far Superior to those of inferior forgin countries and are just naturally more

Down to Earth!

[​IMG]

PS: I actually think the YanMar is not to bad for a Jap product.

Dont forget to add some rep points to my Score. Im having a contest with Apex1, to See who can get to 100 points even first.

I need to go up and he/she needs to go down. Be sure to help both equally so he does not whine about it

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

diesels don't make noise, they make music

6. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

LOL, you guys are crazy. This boat is actually for a friend of the family who lives in another country, so he doesn't care where the engine was made.

Are there any other quiet diesels out there in this HP range with good reliability? I'll keep my eye out. I would like to go with a set of CAT engines, but I've read about a few technical problems and would like to avoid them. The Peninisular diesels seem pretty reliable. Are they quiet too?

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

The Deutz 6 cyl. 6 ltr. or the 7 ltr. is a very reliable, quiet and economic engine. I have one 7ltr. in the 57ft trawler.
    Ignore that wicked *****. He has nothing positive to provide here. Just trying to play nasty, or to sell his junk.

The Yanny has a little disadvantage btw. When installed in a tight eng. room it will be problematic to access the impeller. Even on a free standing engine one has to remove the pump to do so. (one MUST not, but it is way easier)

Regards
    Richard

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Those Deutz motors are quite nice indeed. It's too bad they don't have smaller engines available for smaller 30 to 32ft boats. Looking for something just a bit smaller that has good product support/spare parts in the Red Sea. Hopefully parts will not be an issue for a long time, but who knows! We need to think ahead.

9. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I take that back. Deutz does make the 1013M model. If you know of any ~30 to ~33ft sportfish/cruisers for sale with that engine let me know.

Thanks,

Joseph

10. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

<removed>

If Country of Origin does not matter to your client/friend /whatever.

Then I would look around where they live to find stores that carry spare parts to fix the engine when it breaks down.

Thats the engine they should purchace.

and you may want to make a few extra shekles by selling them a comprehensive Spares kit and a good owneres manual.

[​IMG]

Dont forget to add some rep points to my Score. Im having a contest with Apex1, to See who can get to 100 points even first.

I need to go up and he/she needs to go down. Be sure to help both equally so he does not whine about it

PS Wait for the REsponce. Its gonna be like flushing the water closet with and old rusty chain

11. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Well, both Cummins & Yanmar have good support in the region. In the end it may come down to the noise level & reliability. Both have good marks, but the Yanmar is more quiet.

That's how refined our choices are at this point. I tell you, Volkswagen just produced the quietest diesel ever. They ought to scale it up, put in some stainless steel parts and take control of the marine diesel market!

PS will be putting together a good spares kit too. That is definitely in the plans. Never leave a chap without parts!

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

LEAVE THIS **** ***** !!! Who cares if you have some points or not. It does not make you a human being.

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

It would be sensible to know which weight is acceptable for your application.

Yes the VW are good engines. The Steyr are a good choice as well.

Deutz is the oldest Diesel Motor* manufacturer in the world, and supports his products quite long. And being in our market since ages, they have a worldwide service net also.

Regards
    Richard

14. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Apex, thanks for all your info! I have German roots and just may pick up a Deutz myself some day. Nothing better than good old German steel!

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

How much does an injector for a Steyr cost?
    how easy are they to find when only used in marine engines in the rest of the world?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.