How to power a twin screw pushboat?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Big Builder, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Big Builder

Big Builder Junior Member

Hello,

I am currently planning to build a twin screw steel pushboat for our barging company.
    I plan to follow a very simple and much used design of 12' wide by 25' long basically a steel "box" much like the barges we have built ourselves.
    THe design and fabrication of the basic vessel itself is not so much of a problem for.

I have no experience with installing the engines, drives, sizing the driveshafts, props. controls. cooling etc.

With this email I am mostly hoping to introduce our project and will need to look for much advice in this forum.

The engines and transmissions are readily available here and I plan to use two 4 cylinder diesel engines ( 200hp) each.

I do not have any digital design ability so I will need to discuss with pictures I post.

BB

2. rayman

rayman Senior Member

BigBuilder, just build one of your boxes and drop a pair of skid mounted power units on deck. Look up "Truckee" tugs, I think they are down Florida way. and its all b/s that you have to have handed units, I drove for many years a triple screw tug with all props swinging lefthanded and single rudder in the middle.

3. Big Builder

Big Builder Junior Member

Rayman,

Sorry for the long wait to thank you but I have been out of touch.

I have had to change my approach completely ...we are now going to power out pushboats with a couple of four stroke outboards and see how it worrks. Won't be in the same class as diesel but after we priced all the compnents of a diesel it was simply out of reach. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.