How to proceed after hull extension mold error

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bigtalljv, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

Ok, at the transom, I see how that makes things easier. Transom is like 2-1/4”(?). I copied another guys. For twin 200 OBs.

lifting and flipping is for another thread. I’ve done a 20’ hull with just 15 people. A couple reach lifts sound better, I might break the hull but nobody should get squished.

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Or just go ahead and finish it as is, and test it. Any handling flaw as will only show up at speed.
    If it leans badly when planing, add trim tabs or interceptors to correct that.
    I don’t think it’s a huge issue, especially in ocean conditions where super high speeds and flat water are never the norm.

3. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

Anybody here a Shakespeare fan? Didn’t he write a play called Much Ado About a
    Nothing? (Ok fine, Shakespeare’s nothing has a different meaning but I digress).

I stopped using the 50” straight edge and pulled out the 8 foot level and…..found out that the old original hull has a bit of a hook in the last foot or two and everything I built is fine…. The old hull is just wavy enough to totally screw you up when using a shorter straight edge to check your work.

Is that egg on my face?

thanks for all the great ideas and help with the nonexistent problem. Maybe this will be helpful to somebody in the future but I sure hope not, it’s a sucky problem and solution.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Well, another reason I'd prefer to do final work with the hull upside down is to string it.

How did you or plan to tie the extension to the old hull exterior?

5. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

After I flip it I’m going to bevel both sides along the new seam and fill it back in. I beveled the top of the old hull before I laid the extension.

fallguy likes this.
  6. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Didn't you bevel to a feather edge?That would have meant reasonably good fibre continuity and only some minor gel repairing.That is if there is any gel,can't see from the pics posted.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

based on the pictures; it looks like he used the old transom as a bulkhead; which is probably less than ideal for the inside, but should work, the then molded up to it

the reason for my query was largely to make sure he planned to bond those two with glass

8. Bigtalljv

Bigtalljv Senior Member

I did feather the edge on top but my motto is generally “We do it right because we do it twice”. It’s was more of an idea and reevaluation once it’s flipped over.

no, there is not an original bulkhead left, it’s all new.

the entire bottom is getting sanded, faired, and painted. There are a couple old thru hulls and damage that need to be addressed and maybe a sawzall mistake here and there….

fallguy likes this.