Another Noob Question

Discussion in 'Education' started by HawaiianBozo, Dec 18, 2009.

1. HawaiianBozo

HawaiianBozo New Member

Aloha mariners! This is a great and informative board. Thanks to all who put in the hard work to keep it going and to all the wonderful members that share their time and knowledge.

Here is my question.

I am interested in learning the basics of boat design with an emphasis on "marans." I may or may not design something from scratch, but f I should decide to alter plans obtained from elsewhere, I would like to make sure I do it rght. Also, I am not opposed taking anything I design to a more skilled (read "qualified") professional for approval. However, just as when meeting with a business attorney, you don't want to waste time (read: money) by being illprepared.

Here is my situation.

I am a complete noob without any experience in design or architecture. I plan on doing this more as a hobby and maybe being able to one day contribute to this forum. I don't care to get a degree or make this a profession. I am interested in sailboats mostly, but would like to learn powered as well.

If you could, please point me in the right direction in regards to recommended subjects of study (I.e. Trigonometry and calculus, etc...) as well some recommended reading.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Mahalo and God Bless

Thank you very mch for your time.

2. HawaiianBozo

HawaiianBozo New Member

Btw, I'm mostly interested in trimarans so if your able to share any specific information on the subject, please don't refrain.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Check out the library here on this site, there are many well known titles. There are also on line courses you can take.

"Elements of Yacht Design" by Kinney would be my first recommendation.

And welcome aboard . . .

4. HawaiianBozo

HawaiianBozo New Member

Aloha PAR! Thank you for your reply. I didn't even realize there was a library section. The hours I spent here as a guest were spent searching these forums for answers. Hahaha.

Thanks again.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Okay it's a book store, not so much a library . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.