How to obtain permission to use music in a boat video?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Doug Lord, May 27, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I want to use an old bands music in one or two video's of my test model sailing. The band no longer exists but their music sure does. Anyone know how to go about asking for permission to use the music as background on a youtube video? Also want to get permission to use music from a relatively new group but I think I can write to them directly?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It depends. If they have a deal with ASCAP, they are the ones that will charge you standard royalties. Independent musicians can negotiate or give it away for free.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Find out who was their Music Label was (who produced the recording, like Motown, or Atlantic Records, and so on) They probably own the rights to the music. The look them up on the internet and contact them. Some music has been around long enough to be in the public domain, but it has to be really old.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks guys. The record company that produced the older music(50 years) is no longer in business but there must be a way to get permission from somebody-I'll keep looking into it.

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

AS Gonzo said, there will be an organisation that handles royalties for Bands.

But I think (and think) that the licence you get from them is for playing a radio or music in a shop or gym etc.
    If you want a particular track for a video you would probably need to negotiate with the parties concerned. ie. The song writer and the band that is playing it.

Also you may not know that there are recording companies that do produce CDs that are royalty free.

In Australia a company known as Power Music do it.

I could record something for you but you would probably want someone to watch the video for more than 1 nano second.:p

Poda

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

ASCAP can't prevent you from using published music on a commercial venture. However, they can charge standard royalty fees.
    ascap.com

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

you might find good "garage band" on one of the many independent music sites, and ask to borrow clips of their music in exchange for listing them on your you tube channel with a link to their website. Usually the more free exposure they get the better off they will be. win-win.

This works particularly well if you just use short 30 sec or 1 min clips of their longer compositions. they usually have those available to sample for free on the music websites.

No longer do you need to negotiate with big record companies or agents, many garage bands are making decent money off of those independent music web sites just selling individual songs. it completely cuts out the "gatekeeper" middle man of the music business. Now the big labels and agents are even trolling these sites looking for new talent. Everybody wins!

The other alternative is to use very old "classic" music available for free from various legal websites. all of the interested parties have passed away and there is no one to claim royalties or ownership. These become "public domain", and many websites take advantage of that and offer them for free.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Please check the law before giving advice about "public domain' music. Copyrights are older than recording is. Also, there is no negotiation with labels but it is regulated by law. ASCAP is who you deal with. It is really simple.

9. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

The article attached gives some tips about locating copyright holders to various forms of media. Be prepared for a long slog if your group is somewhat obscure.

http://www.copylaw.com/new_articles/permission.html

Be forewarned that sometimes the holder of a copyright to a piece of music may not be the band playing it. Bands often do covers of other artist's works. That's how the Beatles got started before Lennon and McCartney got good at their songwriting partnership. Also, the rights to the music (the tune or the melody) may be held by a different person than the one who wrote the lyrics.

10. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Gonzo's correct.

Just because the writer of the song has passed away, doesn't mean nobody owns the rights to the music.

For a song to be in the public domain it has to be so old, probably about 50 years. That is why a lot of kids music books contain songs like, "she'll be coming 'round the mountain," etc.

If you are set on the music you want, I think you are on the right road, ie find who has the rights and pay the money.

Poida

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    Thanks for that!

12. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

we just do it. Several of our utubes have music by other people. Youtube used to run ads on these videos for 30-60 seconds, but they have ceased this. But, when we add music to the videos they are sometimes not playable on mobile devices. No idea what the difference is.

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Yeah, I've done this on a lot of my videos as well. I have a few that can't be viewed in Germany for some reason, but I've never had one banned.

Another option is to use music from one of the royalty free sites out there. I used a couple of tracks from machinimasound.com in my last video, and freemusicarchive.org is another source.

14. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

I write/record songs as a hobby, I would be glad to do an original for your Production, usually if I see it I can match the mood. I play mostly hard rock but can pull the acoustic out for some hillbilly fingerpicking. If you like it donations accepted, if not return it.
    So far a lot of my playing is in obscure Surfing videos, I turn the video on and the reverb/delay on and record to them. The Producer likes it!

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Music

Thank you! But I'm strictly amateur hour at least for now. I can't even afford the camera I need but I'll sure keep you in mind as things change down the line.
    Ever heard of the 13th Floor Elevators?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.