How to Maxsurf 3dm from ACAD lines plan?

Discussion in 'Software' started by soundsail88, Nov 1, 2009.

1. soundsail88

soundsail88 New Member

I have the lines for a ship in autocad and would like to create a maxsurf 3dm. What is the most efficient way of going about this?

I have read in maxsurf's help files that an image can be used and lines be "traced," as well as importing a dxf file and tracing over markers. The first method seems inefficient and for the second, I cannot figure out how to convert the 2d dxf into a 3d dxf as the maxsurf help file suggests. Thus, when I import the dxf into maxsurf, my lines plan shows up in the plan view and as straight lines in other views.

I'm trying to learn maxsurf and don't have a great handle on it yet. If I were doing this in rhino, I would create a grid with my bodyplan in autocad and import into rhino. I would then rotate the body plan and distribute stations onto the grid. Is there any similar method for maxsurf?

Thanks!

PS: Title should read "How To: ..."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Soundsail88 the method you described for rhino is what you have to do before you import into maxsurf to get 3d from 2d. You have to create a 3d line drawing from 2d parts then export that out as dxf (lines and arc). You can then import into maxsurf as dxf background lines or dxf markers.

1 person likes this.
  3. maodou

maodou Junior Member

This can do by autocad,I can do it for you if you like

4. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

To make 3d lines from 2d is easier in Rhino .In autocad i personally feel it difficult. You will have to vary z keeping x,y constant.
    In rhino Just import your bodyplan and then offset the stations according to your station spacing. if u cant understand just check the attachment in this post
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/design-software/modeling-hull-tanker-ship-rhinoceros-28555.html

i tried with 3D but i dont know why maxsurf can only generate trimesh surface from it . i also could not make hull from the 3d lines perfectly.
    Hope someone can also guide me regarding this post

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/de...-tanker-ship-rhinoceros-28555.html#post310510

5. soundsail88

soundsail88 New Member

The big hang-up for me in Rhino seems to be the bow/stern bulbs and how to convince Rhino to loft in two 'branches'.

However, I'm trying to figure out maxsurf principally and the help files/tutorials fall pitifully short of answering anything but the most basic questions. I can't even figure out how to delete stations...

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Soundsail88 to delete a section just go to data>grid spacing>sections, then high light the one you want to delete, then delete. You can add in the same way.

7. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Actually I too , am trying to learn Maxsurf but it is kicking my ***....horribly...

8. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

So...anything anyone could say here would be great....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.