Vinyl tiles and heavy duty liquid nails

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Nov 5, 2021.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hi guys I was thinking for the flooring for my wood/epoxy catamaran build I would use vinyl tiles from home depot and exterior heavy duty liquid nails to attach it to the plywood/epoxy floor boards. Do you guys recommend this route or any other suggestions for flooring options? How long does liquid nails last on a boat?

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Not for outside use for sure. The vinyl will change to white in a year of Pacific sun.

I am using faux teak Seadek inside and outside a few spots of seadek storm grey and then traction paint.

You could just traction paint it all for now. I am using Epifanes and Kiwigrip, but getting them colored is a pain.

Just paint it for now; you'll regret permanently gluing tiles down and scraping them off with a chisel 1/8" at a time when they look like hell in a couple years. Paint gets sanded and onto the next coat or floor.

3. mariobrothers88

Yes so sorry I wasn't more specific, this would exclusively be used INSIDE the boat.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Still, for now quick and ez and cheap to use traction paint.

If you can afford them, seadek faux teak will look great. It is almost $300 a sheet for their standard sheet which is maybe 39x80 or so.

5. mariobrothers88

Thanks Dan! Would there be any specific issues with the vinyl tile and liquid nails? Just because I already have a lot of it from a previous project!

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I wouldn't use the liquid nails because I don't know how to remove it.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Vinyl tiles can be successfully painted quite easily.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.