how to make Keel in aluminum

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by AliBaba, Apr 26, 2005.

1. AliBaba

AliBaba New Member

Guys, I need some help in creating the keels in the base of a 18 foot jon boat. I would like to create 3 one inch deep keels. I am working with .125 aluminum (5086-H116). I would also like to put one keel on each sidewall aswell. I have looked and asked around but have been unable to figure out how to do this task. Any help would be great.

Thanks

AliBaba.

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

A long bed, light duty, press. You can look for a metal fabracator shop and try to work out something. Depending on your standards, you could use "T" bar stock and just round the ends neatly and have both side flats for weld or rivit. It should be strong enough in the better grades. Or go with "U" or straight sided channel. Rivit center or weld the sides. Sides, only a "L" should do and with thought it would support any thing else mounted inside. Leery about "L"? Use the "T". There is always more than 1 answer to a problem.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  3. AlaskaFisherman

AlaskaFisherman Junior Member

No long bed presses around here. I would use "T" bars or the "L".

4. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

i would use 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" angle for the center keel and T bar for the sister keels and side "keels" I have used this configuration several times with no field failures.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.