how to make a mold???? help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by SHNISHIGUS, Jul 15, 2011.

1. SHNISHIGUS

SHNISHIGUS New Member

my father built a boat once, which he had built when he was 18 in his room. it didn't occur to him that it wouldn't fit through the door, soo he had to destroy the hull and trash it. we are recreating it, and i would like to know how to pop a mold off of it. as i do not want to have to measure and cut ply wood again. i have all the time in the world to build one but i do not know where to start??? i have a rc boat mold but iv never popped a hull out of it as well. i also have a lot of fiber glass and resin to play with. can any one tell me how to use the rc mold and how to build a mold for the bigger version we are building????

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Using a mold to build a single boat is wasting a lot of effort on something you don't need (the mold). In short you can build the boat over a jig then "pop" the hull shell off the jig when you're done. You should do some research into "one off" 'glass hulled boat building. There are several methods and techniques to choose from. A mold is only convenient if you need to pop out several examples of the same shape, which then justifies the cost and effort involved in making a mold.

3. SHNISHIGUS

SHNISHIGUS New Member

well i plan on popping out multiple boats, so i can have different kinds and for my brothers and i to race in.

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Go down to the coconut grove sailing club and sign up fror their sailing classes. Great place to statrt on an optimist pram.

For your RC mold try some PAM cooking spray as a release agent and a couple of layers of whatever you have for glass. This time of year in Miami you will have to work fast as the resin will go off instantly.

I used the PAM in a baseball helmut mold I had decades ago and it worked pretty good.

Steve

Steve