Eyepatches

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Anthony Appleyard, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Anthony Appleyard

Anthony Appleyard Anthony Appleyard

I found in a newspaper a letter from a reader guessing that "the common image of a pirate with an eyepatch came from a sailor in former times in a wooden sail ship before electric light was invented, wearing a dark eyepatch, to keep that eye dark-adapted for when he had to go quickly from bright sunlight into the unlit dark of below-decks". Did that happen in the real world? I have heard of real jet fighter pilots wearing an eyepatch for a similar reason, to preserve an eye in case in a future way a nearby nuclear explosion put the unpatched eye out of use. I remember being outside in unlit countryside at night, having to shut one eye to keep it dark-adapted whenever a brightly-lit vehicle passed.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The parrot's purpose remains unclear ?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As the pegleg does.

4. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

I always figured that since the "stereotypical" pirate had lost one arm and lost one foot, it stands to reason that he had also lost one eye.

Pirate Eye Patches | Wikipedia
    Pirates -
    [​IMG]
    Stereotypical depiction of a pirate with eyepatch

It is a stereotype that pirates during the age of sail often wore eyepatches. This stereotype is common in fiction and was popularized by the novel Treasure Island. Its wearing by a pirate was first attributed to Rahmah ibn Jabir al-Jalahimah.

A "pirate night vision" myth asserts that pirates wore a patch over one eye in preparation for battle in order to have one eye adjusted to above-deck daylight and the other adjusted to below-deck darkness. The myth supposes that during raids pirates would remove their patches when going below deck and thus be instantly granted one-eyed night vision to easily navigate the ship's dim interior.[20] Although an interesting idea, the loss of depth perception during the critical period of boarding and seizing control of a vessel would be an incredibly large price to pay in order to see better when going below deck, making this myth implausible.

The myth of pirate night vision has no basis in fact. While it does take time for the human eye to adjust to optimum vision when switching between dark and brightly lit areas, there is no evidence to suggest that such a tactic was ever employed by pirates or anyone else. No naval combat manual or historical account of the era makes any reference to such tactics ever being used.[20]

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The eyepatch won't work that way for me cause I'd keep running into stuff.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The lose of night vision, because of a bright light, can take up to about 20 minutes to retain. In battle this can be more than you're willing to wait.

7. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Do you remember your first Government Issued Eye-Patch with as much respect as your first Government Issued Rifle?

8. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

How about an eyepatch after firing a rifle . . . . :eek:

Guy
    scope bite
    [​IMG]

Gal
    scope bite +
    [​IMG]

Guess those eyes (guy & gal) need more than 20 minutes to recover . . . . :eek:

They'd better listen to Kirsten first of course . . . . :cool:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Geez Par I didn't know it took that long. Makes sense to wear patches over both eyes.
    Poida

10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I think the answer to the pegleg, hook and eyepatch comes from the apocryphal tale :-

"Arrr, sonny, see this 'ere pegleg - was a injury done during battle, as they fired ball and chain across the deck, took me leg in the service of the King"

"Wow. And what made you get the Hook for your hand?"

"Arr, that Hook be courtesy of a great white shark. One of me mates fell outta the shore pinnace, and I was draggin 'im in, but the big fearsome brute came up behind just as we was hauling 'im over the side, and took him whole, and my hand included. Lost in the service of me ship mates"

"What an incredible experience. And what happened to the eye ? "

"Seagull shat in it "

"Huh ? Seagull poop ? How could something that insignificant make you lose your eye ?? "

"Arr, well I only had the Hook attached the previous day, ya see, and I reached up to wipe the poop outta my eye ......."

11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It is a much-clichéd story, the old pirate lore.

12. Angélique

Actually Poida, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all . . . . :cool:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  13. Angélique

Wouldn't hurt she'd learn how to tie a knot though, this happened twice in the vid . . . . :confused:

_Kirsten_Joy_Weiss_shooting_blindfold_knot_screenshot_youtube_gZImE6dJ-ww_ 2-min_41-sec_.jpg
    granny knot - (will meet the target in this case, which is only to hold up the blindfold)
    [​IMG]
    to learn; - reef knot - aka - square knot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  14. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Thanks Angel, you made me look less stupid than I really am.
    I noted her comment, "Don't try this at home." <removed>
    Poida

15. Angélique

I'll guess that will be just another trick shot for Kirsten, she readily shoots blindfolded an apple from someone's head, while the tall person behind it just bends, as long as this not happens at home of course, plus she has to wear sunglasses behind the blindfold . . . . :eek:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.