How To Isolate A Alternater Question

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by dermo, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dermo

dermo Junior Member

Can anyone tell me how to isolate a truck alternater,or can it be done the alternater is 90amp i think its a lucas:confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. Jack Daniels Eq

Jack Daniels Eq Shockwave

Dont unnastunt the kwestun Paddy
    Isnt that the 17th?!
    BR>Jack

1 person likes this.
  3. TedZ

TedZ Junior Member

Isolate it because it is putting "noise" on your DC components? There is a capacitor on the alternator that does a great deal of that. Replace it as a starter. If you want a filter and you have an idea of the speed of the alternator (not the engine, the speed after pulleys) you can improve on the filtering using a band stop filter if you have the frequency range of the interference. (Speed range of alternator times 6 usually for six lobes on rotor) They are trivial, $5 to make...lots of sites with design programs.

If you are talking about switching it off when running as "isolation" don't.

Ted

4. dermo

dermo Junior Member

what am basicly trying to do is turn a truck alt into a marine one,
    i was told i could put non return diodes into the alt.
    i have'nt got much experience in this area?

5. TedZ

TedZ Junior Member

The reason marine alternators are more expensive is because of their robust design. http://www.boatelectric.com/alternat.htm Although Baldor doesn't mention it there are explosion proof aspects to the alternators that can be quite important depending on your ER environment. If you can mount it and if you can use a sufficient V-belt to drive it, the truck alternator will work without modification for awhile. I would not do it but it is up to you considering the points made in the article. If you have a gas engine, don't use it. Insurance if you make that modification??

Ted

1 person likes this.
  6. TedZ

TedZ Junior Member

Sorry, Balmar not Baldor. Baldor makes electric motors. The link is correct and worth reading.

Ted

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

the only time I have seen someone want to isolate an alternator is if they dont want it negative earth .....this is done with nylon bushes on the mounting ...so if you tell us what you are trying to do I can advise ....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.