How to install throttle to 24v electric minn kota motor please help!!

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by drewm3, Aug 14, 2010.

1. drewm3

drewm3 New Member

Guys, I need help i have a 24v 70 lbs thrust motor and a whaler with a console on an electric lake. I already have the steering parts needed. But any ideas with the throttle?? Help Please.
    Thanks

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

What the h... is an electric lake?
    Can you use the Minn Kota there without a battery?

3. drewm3

drewm3 New Member

i meant electric only lake my bad lol in other words you cannot use gas outboards

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I understood but couldn't help myself.

Is your problem electrical or mechanical?

5. Mykul

Mykul junior member

drewm3, did you find a solution to your problem? because I seem to find myself with a similar problem.

Thanx, M

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You just connect the wires as per the manufacturers directions. I thought Minn Kota's came with built-in controllers.

Otherwise, contact the manufacturer.

-Tom

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You'll find the Minn Kota instructions reasonably understandable and easy to follow. If you don't have these, you can download it from their site. If this type of thing is new to you and the site and/or instruction booklet can't help you, I'd recommend a boat mechanic to sort out your needs, against what you have and your desires. I mention this because there are dozens of Minn Kota products, most are reasonably easy to figure out. Yep, the Minn Kota product lines come with controllers Tom, of about every shape and configuration. Of course, more precise advice would require a year and model of Minn Kota and any additional information, such as model options.

8. Mykul

Mykul junior member

Well I inherited an old Minn Kota last week, 12V 28lbs thrust. The motor itself is in great shape, but the topend is shot. My dad took it to get fixed but it was cheaper to buy a new one. So I don't have the Minn Kota parts. I was wondering if I could fix it without the exact parts. I've been Googleing for a 30 amp rheostat but Im not finding a supplier in my area.

9. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Don't use a rheostat. It's just a big heat-producing device potentiometer! You want to use a pulse-width-modulation system. This sounds complicated, but it's really quite simple.

If you switch the power to the motor so that it is on and off for the same amount of time (50% duty cycle) then it will run at 50% power. The higher the duty cycle, the more power.

To achieve this with a brushed motor (with the motor only spinning one way) is easy, as all you need is a 555 chip to generate the pulses, and some MOSFETS to handle the drive. You can then add capability to run in reverse by using an H-Bridge.

There are a lot of motor controllers around on the internet, so you should have no difficulty finding one.

Hope this helps,

Tim B.

10. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman Junior Member

Google the MinnKota Maximiser or Maximizer it was the PWM they sold for use on older models. You set the motor on full power and control speed with the Maximiser.