how to get a dead flat table top

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Charlyipad, Jun 25, 2015.

1. groper

groper Senior Member

yeah charly - ive done a galley benchtop in just epoxy but i masked it up and sprayed some matt black to get the teak strip look...

To apply the epoxy - i simply used my normal laminating epoxy, however i heated it up a bit so the viscosity drops. Pour it on thick and spread it around using a notched trowel - the one i used had 3mm or 4mm deep V notches - like a saw tooth edge. As you drag the trowel around, you get an even depth of 3-4mm and push the excess towards the areas that need more. The grooves left by the notches fill in within couple seconds as the resin levels out. You get a bit spill over the edges but if you mask the edges up it cleans up pretty quick. Make sure its all setup level as deering said- put some drop sheets under it

Once youve spread it all around and you have an even coating of resin - you will notice some air bubbles here an there. To get rid of them, grab a propane / MAPP gas etc type blow torch and pass it over the still runny resin. It pops all the bubbles like magic and leaves you with a perfect finish. A few more bubbles may develop, so keep an eye on it you may need to do it again 10 mins later. Dont hold the flame on the resin in 1 spot for too long or you will burn the resin and ruin the finish in that area. Keep the flame well back and keep it moving... heres a pic of the one i did which shows the masking and paint - it started as just a peice of marine ply but it has a deep gloss to it with 3-4mm of pure epoxy all over it...

To get it flat to begin with - there is only one way and that is with a longboard / speedfile. I made my own to fair large flat surfaces, its a peice of RHS steel about 4 feet long, and welded a couple handles to it. Applied some velcro tape to the other side and stick on some good velcro backed sandpaper. Sand it across 2 perpendicular directions and it will end up dead flat...

There are other ways of getting similar results - you can spray a 2part PU clear, or use a low viscosity polyester resin used specifically for finishing surfboards. I have sprayed this resin after thinning it some more with wax in styrene and styrene monomer from a conventional spray gun and it came out perfect! If its going to see any direct sunlight - avoid using epoxy or it will degrade and stuff up in less than 12 months... Both poly urethane clear paints and polyester resins are UV stable.

[​IMG]

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I roll on multiple coats of epoxy, then sand smooth with DA (220), then top it off with clear gloss. Clear gloss can be wetsanded and buffed if need be.

Its a lot faster/cheaper/easier to build up the thickness with the epoxy.

3. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I really doesn't have to be perfect the first time out. It should be refreshed 3 or 4 times a year. After 20 years, or 80 go-overs, it is going to look pretty good.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.